Is there any wood that will poison me?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nemisis

Settler
Nov 20, 2005
Staffordshire
Turning this around a little are are there certain woods that suit different foods better than others for flavours they impart etc?
Dave.

led

Settler
Aug 24, 2004
uk
Sycamore is a good wood as it's pale, doesn't taint and is easy to carve. It was traditionally used for dairy/kitchen goods.

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
Someone on here told me not to use Yew so I avoid it as they know best. Having said that one of Ray's books suggests Yew as a wood for making spoons and bowls.

I'm aware parts of the yew are poisonious so I'd probably say best avoided!

I could have said all that in a couple of words oh well!

Pib

Cyclingrelf

Mod
Mod
Jul 15, 2005
Penzance, Cornwall
There are lots of woods that give a lovely smoke, so flavour meat/fish beautifully:

Alder
Fruit trees such as apple
Juniper
Oak
Hickory

And that's all I can remember off the top of my head...

led

Settler
Aug 24, 2004
uk
re Hawthorn: Nice orangey wood, non poisonous, but not the easiest wood to carve from what I recall.

Scuba Pete

Forager
Nov 3, 2005
Glasgow
Thanks for the info.

Are there any good websites that I can use to ID the trees? I know the basics but there are many I dont know. A pocket book would be good. Or something for my pda.

Pete

pteron

Acutorum Opifex
Nov 10, 2003
Wiltshire
pteron.org
led said:
re Hawthorn: Nice orangey wood, non poisonous, but not the easiest wood to carve from what I recall.

Thanks for that, we have loads around us, also Blackthorn (great for Sloe in in the Autumn :) ) - is it safe too?

typha

Mar 31, 2006
Lanarkshire Scotland
I have been told that some prunus species contain prunasin which converts into hydrocyanic acid in contact with water ,some are said to be hazardous e.g. cherry laurel.
I don't know whether sloe or blackthorn (prunus spinosa) contains enough to be hazardous I would think it's probably safe to use as long as it's seasoned wood.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE