Is there a tracking bible?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Hi Guys,
I am looking for a very good book to learn about Tracking. Is there such a thing as a tracking bible? A book every good Tracker would consider the book to have. I had a look in our bushcraft shop but could not find a book about tracking.

thanks for any info
cheers
Abbe

Tvividr

Nomad
Jan 13, 2004
Norway
www.gjknives.com
There is a book by Paul Rezendes which should be quite good, but I haven't seen it meself.

What I have is :
The Art of Tracking - The origin of Science. By Louis Liebenberg, South Africa. ISBN 0-86486-293-8. Good book by the guy who developed the CyberTracker.

Field Guide to the Tracks & Signs of Southern and East African Wildlife, by Chris & Tilde Stuart, South Africa. ISBN 1-86812-764-8.
Signs of the Wild, by Clive Walker, South Africa. ISBN 0-86977-196-5.
Tom Brown's Field Guide to Nature Observation and Tracking, Tom Brown, USA. ISBN 0-425-06177-9.
Dyrespor, by Preben Bang & Preben Dahlstrøm, Denmark. ISBN 87-12-01890-2 (in Danish).
Spor og Sportegn, by Sverre M. Fjelstad, Norway. ISBN 82-516-1656-5 (in Norwegian)

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
Adolph Murie wrote a book of North American Tracks which is still in print. I'll have to find the publisher ISBN. Murie was a pioneer field Biologist and wrote foundation works on many north american animals. His wife was a driving force in the creation of ANWR and many conservation measures in her native Alaska. The emphasis on animals common to Sweden and NA will be usefull. Murie was also swedish.

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
Gerd, The Liebenberg book is like Gold Dust. If you ever feel the need to get rid of it give me a shout :wink: I've seen it go for $200 which is far to rich for me....

Tvividr

Nomad
Jan 13, 2004
Norway
www.gjknives.com
Justin Time said:
Gerd, The Liebenberg book is like Gold Dust. If you ever feel the need to get rid of it give me a shout :wink: I've seen it go for $200 which is far to rich for me....
:yikes: :yikes:
When I bought mine in 2001 it was brand new (second impression. First published in 1990), and I got it for about 60 South African Rand as far as I remember, which is about $11,5 :yikes: :yikes:
No need to worry :wink: I'll never part with mine :eek:): . But I will check a couple of bookstores when I'm back down in South Africa next year :naughty:

Carpe_Diem

Jan 9, 2004
Australia
Hi

If you want to buy The Art of Tracking: origin of Science go to www.cybertracker.co.za and follow the bookstore links at the bottom, a bookstore called Kalahari.net has it for R130.00 which is about AUD$40.00.

I looked at Amazon (US) and its listed at US$150.00 and Amazon (UK) is selling it for GBP180.00

HUGE difference...

regards
Jeelan

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Carpe_Diem said:
Hi

If you want to buy The Art of Tracking: origin of Science go to www.cybertracker.co.za and follow the bookstore links at the bottom, a bookstore called Kalahari.net has it for R130.00 which is about AUD$40.00.

I looked at Amazon (US) and its listed at US$150.00 and Amazon (UK) is selling it for GBP180.00

HUGE difference...

regards
Jeelan

Thanks a lot mate, that is indeed a difference... :You_Rock_
/ABBE

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
Abbe Osram said:
Hi Guys,
I am looking for a very good book to learn about Tracking. Is there such a thing as a tracking bible? A book every good Tracker would consider the book to have. I had a look in our bushcraft shop but could not find a book about tracking.

thanks for any info
cheers
Abbe

there are 6 books on tracking in the BCUK book shop: http://www.bushcraftuk.net/bcukstore/books/main.php?category=tracking

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
The Rezendes book is excellent. There are some absolutely superb photos in that book and some outstanding natural history information as well.

J

jmj8255

The best book I have seen that is still in print, Sells for about $45.00 USD is Mammal Tracks and Sign A guide to north ameican Species By Mark Elbroch.
Has good photos of tracks, Scat, and other signs. This book was recommend to me by a tracking instructor I know and whose classes I have attended. I found the format to be useful and there are more than enought drawings, photos, and diagrams to enable me to follow the text easily.

Jim

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
jmj8255 said:
The best book I have seen that is still in print, Sells for about $45.00 USD is Mammal Tracks and Sign A guide to north ameican Species By Mark Elbroch.
Has good photos of tracks, Scat, and other signs. This book was recommend to me by a tracking instructor I know and whose classes I have attended. I found the format to be useful and there are more than enought drawings, photos, and diagrams to enable me to follow the text easily.

Jim

Hi Mate,
thanks for the info, it sounds like the right book for me but boy the price is heavy, I know the swedish taxes will put 20 percent on top of it. My wife would kill me if I buy it. :shock: :yikes:

all the best to you
cheers
Abbe

Tvividr

Nomad
Jan 13, 2004
Norway
www.gjknives.com
Abbe Osram said:
Hi Mate,
thanks for the info, it sounds like the right book for me but boy the price is heavy, I know the swedish taxes will put 20 percent on top of it. My wife would kill me if I buy it. :shock: :yikes:

all the best to you
cheers
Abbe
Are you sure about this Abbe ? In Norway (and to a certain extent in Denmark too) buying books and most other printed matter is excempt from taxes for the end user. This applies to importing books too (no import tax and no general sales tax).

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
yes, I am sure about it because I got to pay one day a lot of taxes when they opened up my order from amazon. Most of the time I get it through the taxes, choosing at amazon that they "gift wrap" the book as a present. Otherwise we have to pay, I think it is around 20 percent, taxes here in sweden on books. Here everything is taxed to the max, it really sucks. I think it would be a good idea not to have taxes on books to encourage people to study more.

:?:
cheers
Abbe

Tvividr

Nomad
Jan 13, 2004
Norway
www.gjknives.com
Too bad. Bad swedes :tw: :wink: :lol: (sorry Viking :eek:): )

Abbe Osram said:
........ I think it would be a good idea not to have taxes on books to encourage people to study more. :?: cheers Abbe
I think that is the whole point of books being excempt from taxes here in Norway ! Very good :biggthump (but then we have 24 % tax on everything else, except food which is 12 %. Bad norwegians :tw:)

Raz

Nomad
Sep 3, 2003
all over
Anyone want to do a group buy on the 'The Art of Tracking: origin of Science'? I'd offer but my card couldn't take it at the moment!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE