Is there a place to say hello?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lo-IQ

Banned
Nov 28, 2009
planet earth
cool I was wondering but as I'm crap with maps, have no idea about anything and really find it hard to tie my shoelaces I thought I'd ask.

Editted

Hello it's me, thought I'd join this forum for a while see what happens

:)

Last edited:

Lo-IQ

Banned
Nov 28, 2009
planet earth
Here's a question

I was offered by a mate of mine to go on a bushcraft course but the headshed senior outdoor dudemeister let's call him Ray junior at the place in question wanted me to sign up for a couple of things. A knife and axe course is this normal?

seemed abit of a waste of time and money, but then what do I know.

hence I found this place for abit of chat.

:D

Cyclingrelf

Mod
Mod
Jul 15, 2005
Penzance, Cornwall
I was offered by a mate of mine to go on a bushcraft course but the headshed senior outdoor dudemeister let's call him Ray junior at the place in question wanted me to sign up for a couple of things. A knife and axe course is this normal?

seemed abit of a waste of time and money, but then what do I know.

Have you got a bit more information? I've been on a knife and axe course - actually a camp craft course. We aimed to set up a base camp and in the process learned how to use knife, axe, adze, crook knives and saws, how to sharpen them and how to finish an axe handle. But I've also been on courses where you don't use an axe at all. So it depends on what skills they claim to be teaching...

Lo-IQ

Banned
Nov 28, 2009
planet earth
Have you got a bit more information? I've been on a knife and axe course - actually a camp craft course. We aimed to set up a base camp and in the process learned how to use knife, axe, adze, crook knives and saws, how to sharpen them and how to finish an axe handle. But I've also been on courses where you don't use an axe at all. So it depends on what skills they claim to be teaching...

Well that's the bit that threw me it was supposed to be an introduction to bushcraft/ wilderness expirience and all of a sudden was more than I wanted or bargained for. Felt like being brought into a religious cult...or being sold double glazing, jolly odd expirience so I thought best to ask.

I felt like they must have thought I was the last boat off the boat...

I'll see if I still have the email...

Last edited:

Cyclingrelf

Mod
Mod
Jul 15, 2005
Penzance, Cornwall
Was the knife and axe course a separate course they wanted you to take in order to attend the introduction to bushcraft course??? That would be a bit odd I think...

Lo-IQ

Banned
Nov 28, 2009
planet earth
I was expecting a walk in the woods, with a few exercises thrown in make a fire, build a shelter, find some worms, make soup and identify some plants etc.

this was more a come on a health and safety course about the dangers of the outdoors £150, the come along and be signed off on using a penknife £150, learn to use an axe £150. Once you've had that lot come along to have the walk in the woods and all that for only £225 thank you very much.

Obviously when I started to snigger which turned into a full blown laughter, matey's nose got abit out of joint...

So it's unusual then?

Cyclingrelf

Mod
Mod
Jul 15, 2005
Penzance, Cornwall
I was expecting a walk in the woods, with a few exercises thrown in make a fire, build a shelter, find some worms, make soup and identify some plants etc.

this was more a come on a health and safety course about the dangers of the outdoors £150, the come along and be signed off on using a penknife £150, learn to use an axe £150. Once you've had that lot come along to have the walk in the woods and all that for only £225 thank you very much.

I don't feel I can comment without seeing further information about the actual contents of all the courses and getting a better idea of whether attendance at certain courses was a contingency of being able to do the others. From your sarcasm, you obviously felt it was a rip off, in which case I suggest you don't attend :)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
A lot of the basic bushcraft courses will cover safe knife and axe use quite early in the timetable. They're both such an integral part of bushcraft that it makes sense to get the safety work out of the way first and then leave you to enjoy using the new tools.
Maybe the course you were going on was just a walk in the woods and to progress on to camp craft and tool useage the instructors insist on some basic training first. Seems to make sense to me if you're not already experienced.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
We'd need more to go on.
Who was the course with?
How long was it for?
Did you get a syllabus for the course?
Any course that is going to include sharps has a duty of care to give you instruction in their use.
If it's just an afternoons walk, then it seems excessive, if it's a weekend thing, probably justified.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE