Is the Austrian Wooly Pully my best buy of the year?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
You can trust Littlebiglane now, he doesn't speak with forked-tongue. :)

My three just arrived. They were advertised as "used", but they look new. Very heavy weight, tightly woven, with rugged canvas elbow and shoulder patches. I'm 5'10" and 170#, size large fits me perfectly in the shoulders and snugly around the waist.

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
You can trust Littlebiglane now, he doesn't speak with forked-tongue. :).

I should hope so too!!!!!!!! :eek: :lmao:

Glad you like them. I have three of them (I gave one away) and I love them (in the platonic sense ;) ) - Its strange that we often comment and review things on here soon after purchase when we are enamoured of them and maybe we end up over doing the praises slightly. But I can honestly say that after a good few weeks of usage - and in the weather we have been having - I still think they rock. Lets see if I still think that way in 2 months time. I do hope so.

Last edited:

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
My sweaters tend to get stretched out eventually. I don't think that will happen quickly with these, but when it does, it'll even be a bit of an improvement. I also tend to pull threads on sweaters. These are so tightly woven that that problem, too, will be less likely.

I've been wearing one all day. It's 20*F outside, and 60*F inside, and it's comfortable in both places.

Ivan Owen

Tenderfoot
had mine a few days now and so far i'm really impressed, it's comfort range seems huge i've actually bin wearing inside quite a bit and only taking it off to go to bed, outside it's great; throroughly windproof and warm and it's got such a 'heavyweight' construction i think it's actually affecting my posture! It might be cos it's quite tight fitting but it actually kind of gives you a lift.
Love the thing, will no doubt find justification for wearing it in summer...

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
Yep they are pretty good aren't they. I have four of them :) Its a shame that the larger sizes are few and far between. I know of a source of commercial repros of these in 100% wool and same knit and I have given the once over and they seem a pretty good copy in terms of weight and quality and they are available in larger sizes. However it would be good to give these a road test and see if they are a good equivalent to the wonderful originals.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I know of a source of commercial repros of these in 100% wool and same knit and I have given the once over and they seem a pretty good copy in terms of weight and quality and they are available in larger sizes. However it would be good to give these a road test and see if they are a good equivalent to the wonderful originals.

Where can I find one of these large-sized commercial copies? I'd love to give one a try, especially if it can accommodate my 44" chest and long arms...

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
Was just wearing mine downtown and bumped into another fellow wearing one. After laughing at each other, he told me that the surplus store in Conway, NH has them for $10 US. I'm leaving on an airline trip tonight, but when I get back I'll run up there.

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
Endicotts do have them. I have just checked with Kev. These will be new commercial all-wool ones and this will be reflected in the price. I would expect these could be in the region of £45. But I would check directly for fact rather than assumption. But what do you pay for a good bit of new kit these days.

If you locate other sources - like the link above - check if they are 'issue' or commercial repro and also check if they are 100% wool. I know that some of the repros have a polyester/nylon content as much as 30% and you only find out when you hunt for the label on the inside seam on the trunk of the pully.

Alternatives - not the same weight or weave by any means is the new super-wash Danish pullovers. Now I have not seen or tried these but I know that some of the members on here have got them and they might be worth a glance. Kev has these in aswell and I have penned in to pick one up to try out next time I am in store.

LBL

Last edited:

alabaster cheeks

Dec 27, 2010
east yorkshire
Long time lurker first post hi all
Well the op s review is spot on I was lucky this week and got the largest size on evilbay
What a great buy almost perfect condition for a 1984 item

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE