Is the Austrian Wooly Pully my best buy of the year?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
I think I have found my perfect wooly pully for bushcraft. I never thought I would admit it. But its true. It fills me with festive cheer. Its the Austrian Army wooly pully. I have worn it several times when instructing this week and on the chilly (icy) and damp/windy mornings on Dartmoor its been perfect? Is there something better than perfect. If there is then its that.

It has several advantages over the British one (IMHO)

Firstly it has a button-up neck opening giving it look that is not too 'army' if you catch my drift. Even my wife (ascerbic as she is) said I did not look as much of a dork as I normally do when atired in bushwear. The buttons can be done fully up and turned into a polo-neck for when it gets really cold.

Secondly it is much, much, much thicker and heavier gauge that the British equivalent. Making it more robust and alot warmer.

Thirdly, due to the way its woven (tightly) it is not really that itchy. Whilst I would not wear it next to my skin, after a wash with some conditioner, its really not that itchy at all - even wearing a thin T-Shirt. So - compared to the itchy hell that is the British one - this is heaven!

Fourthly, the way the ribbing has been contructed - horizontally instead of vertically it does not sag/droop round your ankles when it gets wet :)

It has good solid shoulder and large elbow patches.

For me it is the best value product I have bought this year - you get alot of pully for the price. I have bought 4 now because I reckon when word gets out these won't last long.

What are the drawbacks?
Well - sizes are on the small side. If you are long of body and arms or if you are big chested or big bellied then you can forget it. I am 15 stone, just over 6ft, average length of body and arms with a growing middle-age spread and a 42.5 inch chest. I reckon that if you are much bigger than this its going to be a bit of a squeeze. If you are slighter than this then there are smaller sizes available. The other thing is - it must be because Austrian soldiers are built like Pope-eye (built like a triangle-shaped brick out-house) the shoulders are broader with a narrower waist. I am only saying this because some of you guys on here are XXL folk.

I reckon this is got to be the making of a bushcraft classic. But then I have been wrong before ;)

I don't know where else to find these because I only tend to use one / two local surplus stores. I have not seen these anywhere else either.

http://www.endicotts.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=1857

As usual - normal caveats apply - no connection with Endicott's except as a frequent and happy customer.

LBL

Last edited:

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
I saw these on the Endicotts site a little while ago and was very tempted. They are even heavier than my very heavy old arran jumper. Good to know they work well.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Forgot to ask littlebiglane, I guess you got the "medium to large". Reckon it would fit someone 5' 11" and around 13 stones, ie me???

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
Forgot to ask littlebiglane, I guess you got the "medium to large". Reckon it would fit someone 5' 11" and around 13 stones, ie me???

Yep. I am sure that would fit you just grand. In fact slightly better. If you give your chest size also to Kev he'll match it with the best size. He is uncanny in his accuracy.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
They do look like a nice bit of kit but I'm not sure about that chunky waist band. Saying that I'll no doubt buy one as the heads-up on here are usually spot on.

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
They do look like a nice bit of kit but I'm not sure about that chunky waist band. Saying that I'll no doubt buy one as the heads-up on here are usually spot on.

Waist band not any more chunky than the cuffs. It is a double layer but helps keep its shape and not go baggy. TBH with you is just made more obvious by its width and its perpendicular direction to the horizontal rib which is quite unusual in itself. Anyway, I even had a 19 year-old youf (outdoor education undergrad) say they wanted one and where could they get one (in all seriousness) so it can't be that bad seeing as an old f*rt like me is wearing it ;)

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
These rock,

bought one off evilbay a few weeks ago and haven't taken it off yet. Have removed the various badges and epillets and now looks like a regular jumpar and not a service cast off.
Very warm, less scrachy than british equivilent and, for me, a much better fit.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I'd love one but I'm not sure that the "medium-large" size would fit my 44" chest; sadly the sleeves almost definitely wouldn't fit - I have arms like a gibbon.

Damn and curses! The quest continues...

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I'd love one but I'm not sure that the "medium-large" size would fit my 44" chest; sadly the sleeves almost definitely wouldn't fit - I have arms like a gibbon.

Arm reduction surgery? Women have it if they are 'unbalanaced'....

Just a thought...:)

andythecelt

Nomad
May 11, 2009
Planet Earth

It's not just me then! Try buying kit with really long arms and a 50" chest, not easy. Though I can sometimes get bargains when a line has sold out apart from a couple of freak sizes. It'd be easy if I was universally large but I have freakishly short legs.

Adrian

Forager
Aug 5, 2005
South East London
I bought mine on holiday in Vienna a few years ago - the size was strange as has been mentioned - wide at the top and narrow at the bottom! I bought it oversized and when I got home - washing machine and tumble dry to shrink it a bit. Result - great fit!

I then used it on the Woodlore Arctic course. I have IBS, so sometimes when I go to the loo, I can be in there for an hour+. So there I am in the loo for over an hour, -15 in the loo, but I was warm as toast (apart from my b*m):)

Shrinking it a bit has felted the wool somewhat - bit like Dachstein mittens, so it's actually moderately windproof as well. The only trouble with it, apart from it being a bit heavy to carry, is that it hasn't really been cold enough to wear it in England since!

Overall, terrific bit of kit! Incidentally, the Austrian Army now uses a fleece. (not just one obviously - they get one each!)

bailout

Jul 17, 2008
devon
I am probably going to Endicotts later this week so I will have a look at these but at 1250 gms I think they are closer to a weight training aid than a jumper :D

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
I am probably going to Endicotts later this week so I will have a look at these but at 1250 gms I think they are closer to a weight training aid than a jumper :D

Ah..but that makes them bomb-proof, wind resistant and warm ;) :)

I've been wearing mine all day today (from about 6am) in some woods on the flanks of Dartmoor and it kept me quite snuggly. But it was a balmy 3.5 degrees anyway.

Last edited:

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
Stumbled on this thread just in time - the last of my Norwegian sweaters with the thumb holes is looking sloppy and ragged. Stretched out and with a lot of pulled threads. I liked those so well that I've been searching for more, but everyone is sold out. These Austrian pullovers look like they may be even better.

Found some used in the US here:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/...yweight-wool-sweater-olive-drab.aspx?a=490261

My order isn't going to ship until mid-January, but I'll post their condition when they arrive.

Thanks for the review.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE