An American Axe - in British Hands - an axe restoration project

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Oh, that was absolutley a fantastic job.

Ill have to get to work on some of my old axes...But I doubt I will be able to do such a good job.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Do three or four and you will Tengu - I'm still learning, but if you go slow and patiently it'll look good and work well. A belt sander helps - but they come up cheap all the time

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Nicely done Red mate, is that a pick axe handle you used, I picked up a nice one for a pound recently and am keeping it for a future project.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hi Hugo, its a purpose made straight axe helve, my mate sent it from the US with the axe head. More oval in profile than an pick axe handle

N

Nomad

What did ypu use for the beeswax? A particular product? Pure beeswax? If the latter, how did you apply it?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Beeswax cut with pure turpentine to make a wax polish. Just rubbed it in with a soft cloth. Any beeswax furniture polish (solid type) would do....if you don't keep bees :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE