Is it worth saving burls?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
My tree surgeopn buddy just dumped a load of wood on the drive (again) :) To get ahead of 2015s firewood. After he left and I was piling it up I noticed there are quite a few sizeable burls and pieces of burl in there (by sizeable I mean football size and up)

IMG_9024 by British Red, on Flickr

IMG_9025 by British Red, on Flickr

IMG_9026 by British Red, on Flickr

IMG_9027 by British Red, on Flickr

IMG_9028 by British Red, on Flickr

Almost seems a shame to chainsaw them up for the stove really:confused:

Last edited:

mikew

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 25, 2005
West Yorkshire
Don't burn them! That big burl could probably keep a couple of knife makers going for years.

What's the wood?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
No idea on the wood to be honest, very little clean bark on it to get a decent ID. I'll text my mate and see if he can remember. He just drops me a 7 1/2 tonner of logs - all sorts in a load - whatever he has been felling. Its nicely figured stuff with a smooth grey green bark from the little I can see.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I did think beech as a possibility Mark. I'll probably put it to one side in a barn for a while in case I can sell / trade it. I can always burn it later if I can't find someone local who wants it (I'm not much of a one for carving as you know)

skate

Nomad
Apr 13, 2010
East Devon
Woodturners would love them. In Britain they are "burrs". Burl is the American name. They could make some amazing bowls. would be a shame to burn them.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I prefer burls. I'm a metal worker and burrs are something left over after machining/drilling metal that need removing or de-burring. :)

Woodturners would love them. In Britain they are "burrs". Burl is the American name. They could make some amazing bowls. would be a shame to burn them.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
They are horse chestnut burls apparently :)

I've left them to one side for a future trade with someone who can use such things

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I thought they were horse chestnut. It's a rather large burr pattern so works best on big bowls rather than small knife scales. It would still make decent scales though or kuksas. It is a nice pale creamy colour if worked green and if left lying for a while tends to get less pleasant grey streaks through it. If it was mine I would shove some through a bandsaw or rip it with a chainsaw into chunks say 2" think that can be resawn for knife scales then I would carve what I could green and the rest would be firewood.

PS it is not hard though like all woods is softer and easier to work when green and harder when dry.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
No bandsaw this end sadly Robin, I may try to cut some up roughly with the Husqy

I suspect its already had a year or more of seasoning - the rest of that load was pretty dry stuff. I suppose If I cut it up crudely, I can always neaten it up un the sliding chop saw - got to be worth a go. If you want some and can collect it at some point Robin I'll put the bowl sized bits to one side?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE