A thread for those interested in Seed Saving

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Thats how I propogate all our gooseberries - scratch the bark, bend a branch over and peg it down - after a few months it roots. Its known as layering :)

I've just been sitting thinking about what I would like to learn how to propagate, or how to save the seeds of.

And after looking at my garden, I come to the following conclusion:

I would like to propagate a larger garden...

J

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Great stuff Hugh.
Those rhubarb flowers look lovely. How's the soya bean??
I've quite enjoyed growing a few things from seed this year so keeping your own seed makes sense. I'm not sure I'd like to use up that much space to get seed from parsnip though😨.
I didn't realise you could layer gooseberry. ... is there a best time for this?
Ta d

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I tend to layer in late Autumn - about October time.

First soya beans failed utterly - second lot is in the greenhouse and some have germinated....I hope the rest will join them soon

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Anyone know how long something like Jostaberry / Goosies would take to bring on from Seed to something that can bear fruit? Trying to plan ahead , just wondering if its a realistic timeframe.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I'm not sure Jostaberry would come true as it's a complex cross of different plants. Whatever you get I would expect them to fruit after three years, possibly two in ideal conditions although it may take a long time to germinate them. Jostaberry is very easy to root from cuttings though.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I'm not sure Jostaberry would come true as it's a complex cross of different plants. Whatever you get I would expect them to fruit after three years, possibly two in ideal conditions although it may take a long time to germinate them. Jostaberry is very easy to root from cuttings though.

Thanks Slowworm .

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE