Is it an urban myth?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Armleywhite

Nomad
Apr 26, 2008
Leeds
www.motforum.com
I know that modern Army rations are bitb meals. However, during my time in't army it were all tins. Always cooked in the tin, but seldom ate from one. I'm none the worse for it. Other than my pants getting smaller and my tops getting bigger. I'm perfectly fine. Mind you, my stage show on a sat night as Thelam louise is taking on a more realistic stance of late.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Virtually everything we eat and drink now comes wrapped in some sort of plastic, and whislt ive heard/read some think this is a ticking time bomb,theres no point worrying unless you dont want to eat/drink, which would probably kill you alot quicker.

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
When ever you heat/cook in a sealed container it is best to release any possible pressure build up by puncturing the can with your can opener in 2 places. This will vent out any pressure, as far as "cooking" in the container itself use a proper pot, too much thermal inter reaction with the lining wether solder, plastics, resins.

skaus84

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 15, 2008
Liverpool UK
Heating food in a tin is not going to have any adverse effect on your health. Open the tin, put it near the embers and stir it every few minutes until its at the temperature you want. Cooking it in the tin like this and boiling the tin in water will have the same effect on the plastic coating inside the tin. Don't forget boil in the bag meals generally come in alluminium pouches with a plastic liner which is the same stuff that tins are lined with!

It is true that plastic contains oestrogen from the animals that made the oil. Too much exposure to food contained in plastic can increase the amount of oestrogen in the body, but considering nearly everything comes in some sort of plastic wrapper there is not much you can do about it!

Graywolf

Nomad
May 21, 2005
Whereever I lay my Hat
Badger,
I did this many times when I first started camping(couldnt afford a billy)with no adverse affects.But you do have to puncture the lid,so that the pressure is releasted.The only poisoning I have heard of is aluminium poisioning,when you use this to cook in it can build up in your body and make you ill.

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I know that modern Army rations are bitb meals. However, during my time in't army it were all tins. Always cooked in the tin, but seldom ate from one. I'm none the worse for it. Other than my pants getting smaller and my tops getting bigger. I'm perfectly fine. Mind you, my stage show on a sat night as Thelam louise is taking on a more realistic stance of late.

As you said the tops are getting tighter - that will be the Moobs

tenderfoot

Nomad
May 17, 2008
north west uk
We regulary heat tinned food in the can when we do day walks. I find tinned food too heavy for camping. The kids favorite is sponge puddings that are designed to be heated in the can. The lid is taken off and then placed back on, the contents can burn if placed in too hot a fire. I tried a goblin meat pudding but they are really nasty. Lidl ravioli is very nice. As long as the food isn't over heated I can't see a problem, burning however can lead to a noticable metal taste, which I can see as maybe harmful.
wow you can still get goblin products? they used to do a range called goblin reddydins: -
stews and stuff,Twas my main sustainence when out camping as a teenager anyone remember it or seen it recently? To try for old times sake....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE