Is a leatherman skeletool legal carry?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
Sorry peeps, i do get confused by legislation babble, what do you guys think?

https://www.multi-tool-store.co.uk/multi-tools-c27/leatherman-skeletool-p129

ofvGHUKl.jpg

It does have a locking mechanism for the blade which can be removed.
The reason i carry it in a pouch on my belt is because i own a harley and bits fall off of them all the time. i need a philips screwdriver to take the seat off to get at bits.

thanks

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Sorry peeps, i do get confused by legislation babble, what do you guys think?

https://www.multi-tool-store.co.uk/multi-tools-c27/leatherman-skeletool-p129

ofvGHUKl.jpg

It does have a locking mechanism for the blade which can be removed.
The reason i carry it in a pouch on my belt is because i own a harley and bits fall off of them all the time. i need a philips screwdriver to take the seat off to get at bits.

thanks
I *think* all locking blades are illegal irrespective of blade length, and then there is the blade length restriction on top of that.

ETA: Since you'll use it on your bike maybe better to just get a multitool with different screwdrivers and no knife, rather than risk the debate with a police officer.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
If you can justify carrying it with lock mechanism in place you'll be fine. Thing is that what you feel is justification to carry it may not be accepted by a police officer and you could end up in court.

If you take the lock off and the blade is within legal parameters then you're ok to carry.

Reactions: Samon

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I *think* all locking blades are illegal irrespective of blade length, and then there is the blade length restriction on top of that.

Locking blades are legal to carry so long as you have reasonable justification.

The issue is whether what you think is justified might not be accepted in a court of law

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Needing a screwdriver to get into your Harley is probably not sufficient justification for having a locking blade in the eyes of the law.

Depending on the length of screwdriver required, I can recommend the Leatherman Juice - small but surprisingly effective with a slipjoint blade to boot.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
agreed on the reasons.
is it possible to take the blade off and leave it at home?
or maybe keep the blade under the seat on the bike where it will take a long time and a phillips screwdriver to get to!

Reactions: Janne

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Could you replace the bolt holding the seat to one with a knurl or similar so you can remove it only with your fingers?

I had a similar problem, and I solved it by using Blue Locktite.
I lost several horns on my Harley. I have not been one one for over a decade, but I believe they still vibrate ? Incredibly bad design and engineering.

Last edited:

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Locking blades are legal to carry so long as you have reasonable justification.

The issue is whether what you think is justified might not be accepted in a court of law
Yes I know but I was picturing the scene: Man on a HD stopped by the police trying to explain said knife with "But I need it for the screwdriver, Officer!". Locking or not, that might be a tricky one! :D

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Yes I know but I was picturing the scene: Man on a HD stopped by the police trying to explain said knife with "But I need it for the screwdriver, Officer!". Locking or not, that might be a tricky one! :D

Not really - you don't need to justify having a slipjoint knife with a blade under 3" long.

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
blade is removed currently. so if it under the seat should i need it, thats ok?

thanks all for the replies,

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Another solution is to carry the tool in a nicely crafter leather pouch strapped to the handlebar.

We have at least one Leather Wizard here ( that Scottish warrior comes to my mind!) that can make a fantastic one.
No need to carry the tool ON you.

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
blade is removed currently. so if it under the seat should i need it, thats ok?

thanks all for the replies,

Hard to say for definite. The bike will class in the same way as a car in the eyes of the law so will be a public place. Some police officer might take it to be a fixed blade so even dismantled may need to have that justification as to it's carry. No one here can tell you for definite how it would go - I doubt any of us would stand up in court with you to defend it!

Be comfy with your decision to have it and if you feel that you couldn't justify it sufficiently, my advice would be get a model that fits within the bounds of section 139.

Reactions: brancho

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I know your question has been thoroughly answered, but thought I would throw an idea spanner in the multitool works.

Do you need the pliers?
If so, Gerber Multi-Plier MP600 (Bladeless)

or more of a knife...
Victorinox Tinker (several versions)

Or Boker Plus Tech Tool 5 City

All have Philips drivers and are 100% legal EDC in the UK

Or, if you want a driver more than a knife, have you looked at the micro size 1/4 ratchets made by Teng Tools. I can attest to these being really handy for small, hard to reach jobs on vehicles. This one is good since you can buy the bits needed, short, long, different sizes etc and could make up a custom case for them.
Teng Tools 29pc 4" ratchet Sadly not one of the many sets that Screwfix sells. They do the handle separate, but it cost as much as the above kit.

ATB

Chris

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Be comfy with your decision to have it and if you feel that you couldn't justify it sufficiently, my advice would be get a model that fits within the bounds of section 139.

other than knowing the law, lock knives are not illegal for instance then the above is the best advice you'll get....be comfortable with your decision. If you go with a locking blade or longer than 3 inches then its on you to justify that choice. If you arent up for debating the point with pc woodentop in the street then stay sub 3" and non locking

Reactions: brancho

mowerman

Aug 23, 2015
Shropshire
I'm always fascinated by this knife law. I work for a tree surgeon in the winter, mainly as ground crew but with the occasional ascent.
I take a bag to work that includes a silky pull saw, chainsaw boots, gloves, helmet, spare socks and a 4 inch lock knife that is used for cutting / splicing ropes and other odd jobs.
If a policeman stopped me then surely they could prosecute if they were to follow the letter of the law, however I hope they would agree that I am carrying it in a working capacity as a tool for work.

I think this debate will go on and on.

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
The best tool i had for my bike was an old double ended (flat one side and crosshead the other) screwdriver that you get with a car tool kit.

I keep meaning to look for one next time i'm at the breakers, but always forget. I did search around for a while online but other things took over then i got the skeletool and i love it too bits because of the extras too. Its my EDC with a small AAA torch and a spare battery and a few odd bits for the tool. bottle opener and i have used it :D

i know i don't need a knife blade and can get by without it, its just nice having the package all ready. You just don't know whats going to go wrong next with a harley unfortunately ; )

Yes I am sure the debate will never end all the time that some people want something and others don't.

Thanks for the suggestions, I will certainly look into those. Appreciate the wisdom of more experienced members.

Reactions: mowerman

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE