UK legal every day carry multitool - the perfect solution.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 16, 2014
london
Hello all

My search for a UK legal multitool for every day carry brought me here among other places. I have to commend you on being a wonderful source of research and info !!

As you may be aware, UK legislation requires anyone carrying a locking blade to have a reason or excuse. So, TECHNICALLY carrying a multitool with locking blade could leave you open to having to prove a good reason etc - fine if on way to hunting, fishing or camping but at night on way to the pub ??

So, I decided to play it safe by looking for a bladeless tool so I can carry 24/7 with no need to prove myself. As luck would have it, Gerber have done just this in their MP600 bladeless model designed for workplaces in USA with a no knife policy.

I managed to get one despite the crazy decision by UK Gerber authorised importers not to bother importing this model !

If anybody is interested and its within the forum rules, feel free to contact me for more details.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Welcome to the forum :)

Not a good choice in my opinion because

a) After carrying both for decades, in my view Gerber tools are pretty shoddy compared to Leatherman.

b) A knife is the most useful part of my EDC gear

I have found that a decent SAK and, if wanted, a small pair of pliers, costs less, works better is more comfortable to carry and is more ergonomic to use.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I don't know the tool in question, but just because it does not have a locking *knife* blade does not mean it is legal, as a locking saw would still fall foul.

The leatherman juice is UK legal in that none of the tools locks and the blade is fairly miniscule, definately under three inches.

I carry a leatherman squirt on my keyring as the pliers are useful at a pinch. The knife blade is anything but alarming and is good enough to open the ubiquitous plastic blister packs.

I am concerned however that I may be in posession of a technically illegal spork, it locks and has a serrated edge, ooh dear :)

Sep 11, 2014
Maidstone, KENT
I don't know the tool in question, but just because it does not have a locking *knife* blade does not mean it is legal, as a locking saw would still fall foul.

The leatherman juice is UK legal in that none of the tools locks and the blade is fairly miniscule, definately under three inches.

I carry a leatherman squirt on my keyring as the pliers are useful at a pinch. The knife blade is anything but alarming and is good enough to open the ubiquitous plastic blister packs.

I am concerned however that I may be in posession of a technically illegal spork, it locks and has a serrated edge, ooh dear :)

+1 for juice.

Nov 16, 2014
london
Fair comment. You make a good point. However, all the case law refers to KNIFE blades rather than hacksaw ( the remgrit on the 600 is a hacksaw ).

Regardless, once you demonstrate you have gone to the trouble of buying a specifically bladeless item, I feel you would have more chance at court !!

I can post a link to the ebayer if its welcome / allowed.

Nov 16, 2014
london
The law says that anything with a blade or point is covered. That's all I need to know.

That's why there is case law. Then the court clarifies what is and is not included.

I guess if you follow the legislation to its conclusion without case law, a pencil sharpener has a "blade" but if that was ever brought before a court, case law would be created which ruled out prosecution.

The judge or magistrate will look at the "spirit" of the act when deciding. The legislation was to prevent the use of knives and pointed weapons in crime. I have never heard of anyone attacked with a hacksaw. Or anyone carrying one for self defence or as a weapon !

Interesting debate though........................................

Edit - bloody annoying - just looked for that case law ( if I remember rightly it was a case where they decided if a woodsaw was a bladed article ) but cannot find it. Aaagghhhh

Last edited:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Actually case law clears up areas of ambiguity or interpretation - for example whether a locking knife is treated as a fixed or folding blade. It does not over ride the letter of the law. The letter of the criminal justice act states that it covers all bladed and sharply pointed articles. So it does. There is no discussion. You may be lucky with a woodsaw and the police or CPS may exercise some discretion, but the law quite clearly states that all bladed items are covered.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Actually case law clears up areas of ambiguity or interpretation - for example whether a locking knife is treated as a fixed or folding blade. It does not over ride the letter of the law. The letter of the criminal justice act states that it covers all bladed and sharply pointed articles. So it does. There is no discussion. You may be lucky with a woodsaw and the police or CPS may exercise some discretion, but the law quite clearly states that all bladed items are covered.

so I can't edc my toy helicopter?

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I daresay if I were to go into a woodland I neither had permission to be in nor permission to take wood with an axe and a folding saw, I could be prosecuted for going equipped rather than carrying an offensive weapon, it is all in the context.

I don't think most of us need to worry about carrying a multitool with a blade so long as it does not lock as is the case with the leatherman juice and squirt as I mentioned. I'd worry about carrying a folding saw into the pub of an evening though as there is no justification for that unless you are going to do a bit of pruning for the landlord for a beer or two.

Mike313

Nomad
Apr 6, 2014
South East
I'm not trying to hijack this thread but, having read the above comments, I'm hoping these questions will add to the discussion. What about Opinel knives, which are fitted with the twisting lock mechanism, are they legal in the UK? And if they are, what about Opinel No.8 and upwards which seem to have blades greater than 3 inches?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
They are perfectly legal - but you must have a good reason to have one on you - they are a lock knife so are treated as a fixed blade.

StJon

Nomad
May 25, 2006
Largs
Back on track, what about the Spyrerco Byrd 8 Tool Harp, I've one on my belt as EDC[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif].

[/FONT]

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE