IPK Shelter practising

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

webbie

Forager
Jan 1, 1970
scotland
what is the best way to set these shelters up? just pitch it like a old style force 10 n throw lots of dirt etc over them?

loz.

Settler
Sep 12, 2006
Dublin,Ireland
www.craobhcuigdeag.org
what is the best way to set these shelters up? just pitch it like a old style force 10 n throw lots of dirt etc over them?

They are designed to be the roof of a firetrench, a 6 foot long x "the armpits of the shortestman" high trench, that you fight from.

you pin the cord supplied crisscross ( im sure there was a leaflet in each pack with a diagram ) across your trench at one end using the pegs supplied ( over half of the trench ) then lay the sheet, then overlay with branches etc, then layers of compacket earth, branches, earch continue.

then you get in - if you get inside - your NCO will then drive a defender over the top, if you survive, you have a good firestrench shelter.

OR

suppose you could rig as a hamock with sheetbends on the corners ?

Loz

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
do they have eyelets now then? I only used them when attatched, as in recce units we didn't dig in. we used to pinch the pegs though and use the rest to waterproof kit in the wagons.

Allways thought they were pretty useless but they did do what was required I suppose.

Brendan

Nomad
Dec 1, 2004
Surrey UK
do they have eyelets now then? I only used them when attatched, as in recce units we didn't dig in. we used to pinch the pegs though and use the rest to waterproof kit in the wagons.

Allways thought they were pretty useless but they did do what was required I suppose.

They still don't come with eyelets but you can put some in pretty easily, I put eyelets in one of mine in case I need another tarp but I usually use them as a darn good groundsheet.

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
that figures - probably still using cold war stock circa 1972

I had to laugh at the lead coating hypothesis - sorry folks - but most of the anti radiation drills were just to keep you busy. I was an nbc instructor and we knew that whatever happened it was going to be pretty hopeless. the idea seemed to be kill more of them before you died inorder to protect what was left. nuclear we knew we didnt have a chance in hell, it was the chemicals we were worried about as those we might survive if we were flippin carefull.

buddy toilet drills anyone :eek:

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
When you think about it..... a KIP kit costs bout a fiver and you get a good sized waterproof tarp plus a handful of very handy alu pegs plus a fair amount of nylon chord, it's light and with the addition of a few strategically sewn tape loops or addition of some eyelets you get a crackin and very useful piece of gear. Nowadays the same sort of thing bought as a "hootchie" is around £30 - £60 not bad value the old KIP from the 70s eh?

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
They are designed to be the roof of a firetrench, a 6 foot long x "the armpits of the shortestman" high trench, that you fight from.

you pin the cord supplied crisscross ( im sure there was a leaflet in each pack with a diagram ) across your trench at one end using the pegs supplied ( over half of the trench ) then lay the sheet, then overlay with branches etc, then layers of compacket earth, branches, earch continue.

then you get in - if you get inside - your NCO will then drive a defender over the top, if you survive, you have a good firestrench shelter.

OR

suppose you could rig as a hamock with sheetbends on the corners ?

Loz

A friend tried making a hammock from one in Iraq. It took my weight fine, but then I weigh less than a small field mouse! He got in and it failed quite dramatically. I always thought they were rip proof, but now I know differently. They are very robust though and won't rip in normal use as a tarp.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE