IPK kit = Hammock??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robby

Nomad
Jul 22, 2005
Glasgow, Southside
Out for a walk with Drew 1166 today to try out his new kit and had a bit of a thought. I got a piece of material ages ago from a car boot that I thought might come in handy that I considered using to make a hammock but it's a wee touch too short. Then I thought about the MOD IPK kits and the fabric in them. Has anyone tried using one for this before, does anyone reckon it would work?

nenook

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 24, 2010
stafford
hello Robby , I tried ages ago with an IPK kit, and made the mistake of not re-enforcing the stiching with webbing tape and it tore the first time i got in it , thankfully there wasent anyone around and the only thing dented was my pride, so if you do you might think on to re -enforce your stiching .

nenook

nenook

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 24, 2010
stafford
your welcome. and ive been thinking if you run say two lenghts of webbing tape the entire length of the ipk sheet, leaving say 1.5 metres either end and sew that to the ipk , then have the sewn part on the outside it will support you and better i think!, let me know what you think

regards

nenook

Last edited:

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
Nice idea. I use part of the IPK tarp as a small groundsheet when I have set my tarp up. I put some eylets on each corner so you can peg them down & works quite well. I would agrre with reinforcement being needed if you wanted to hammock in one. Good luck

Gweedo

Forager
Jun 23, 2005
Wales
My first tarp for canoeing was made from 3 Kippex sheets and sewed up by the station paintshops (who also for some reason had all the sewing kit). The tarp was brill but all the seams and edges do need reinforcing with webbing. The other problem with Kippex is that folds to wear through in time, and the quality of the sheets can be variable. Never made a hammock though!

Robby

Nomad
Jul 22, 2005
Glasgow, Southside
All great info guys, thanks for all your help. Hopefully be picking up the stuff in the next couple of weeks. I'll keep you posted on how things go, and get some pictures posted of the master-piece once it's completed (he said optomistically). =o)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE