iPad app rant

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I saw an upgrade was available for Scrabble on my iPad and installed it....

My paid for app is now a free app (I get extra boards and tiles) it's completely different, is missing key features, looks appalling, has adverts... Essentially it's not the product I paid for.

Emailed apple. Apparently it's well within the tnc's to do this. Thanks Apple. For nothing.

So beware, what you pay for now could end up being something else and there's sod all you can do about it.

Angry.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...Thanks Apple. For nothing.

So beware, what you pay for now could end up being something else and there's sod all you can do about it..."

There does seem to be a trend for PC and OS manufacturers to take more and more control of the stuff that you presume you own these days. :(

cave_dweller

Nomad
Apr 9, 2010
Vale of Glamorgan
Not as bad as Amazon though. If you "buy" a book on Kindle you do not own it!

...and bang goes the 'doctrine of first use' and the right to resell the book once you're finished with it.

It's been the same with software for years though - we just licence the right to use it in most cases. There is no 'ownership'.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Don't go there about Scrabble...

Farcebook has just "up"graded their version... This being a family forum were I to put what I felt about it I'd get an instant ban :censored:

Suffice to say it's utter utter carp and by the sounds of it Mike it's the same version that crapple have dumped on you... :(

IanM

Nomad
Oct 11, 2004
UK
Revert to the old version of the App (install from your backup) and don't update it in future.

I do this with a couple of Apps, notably 'The Weather Outlook' where the newer version is not what I want.

There is a movement to have the ability to 'lock' an App so it will not update, a lot of people want it just because of the problems you are having.

Last edited:

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
Suffice to say it's utter utter carp and by the sounds of it Mike it's the same version that crapple have dumped on you... :(

It's not Apple but the App developer who have caused the problem, they own the game and are responsible for it's maintenance , they just sell it through iTunes.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Not as bad as Amazon though. If you "buy" a book on Kindle you do not own it!

A couple of years back there was a situation where an ebook had been released and downloaded by readers only for the publisher to realise that there was a problem with the rights for that particular imprint, the ebook vanished Amazon and more importantly from any Kindles that the file was on. It was 'erased from history'.

The title of the book? And you couldn't make this up, was 1984.

http://boingboing.net/2009/07/17/amazon-zaps-purchase.html

:)

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
A couple of years back there was a situation where an ebook had been released and downloaded by readers only for the publisher to realise that there was a problem with the rights for that particular imprint, the ebook vanished Amazon and more importantly from any Kindles that the file was on. It was 'erased from history'.

The title of the book? And you couldn't make this up, was 1984.

http://boingboing.net/2009/07/17/amazon-zaps-purchase.html

:)

Brilliant..

I hear the new Xbox is also going to be very selective in what rights you have to the game you just purchased. Also restrictions on who you are allowed to give your games to after your finished with them. Not to mention the console has to be connected to the internet atleast once every 24 hours.

Been a long time since I played console games but that has certainly put me off. Atleast till they hack it right open as usual.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Scary stuff but not surprising about the Amazon taking the books back. Which is why, after I registered my Kindle, I turned off the WIFI and it hasn't been on since. I copy books to it from DVDs I bought off ebay which has 1000s of ebooks or from people who have sent me books via email, then I use Calibre to put them on the Kindle. Job done.

I even turned off auto updates on my PC so I won't have irritating upgrades and add ons. The machine works fine after all these years using WinXP. About the only upgrade I did was add the service packs. Still boots up fast and doesn't run slow either, unlike my mate's machine which has every update there is known to man on it. It looks like a Lamborghini... but runs like it's got a lawnmower engine in it.

I feel your pain Mike, and those others who have these upgrades foisted on them. It's just another control tactic.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...The machine works fine after all these years using WinXP. About the only upgrade I did was add the service packs. Still boots up fast and doesn't run slow either, unlike my mate's machine which has every update there is known to man on it. It looks like a Lamborghini... but runs like it's got a lawnmower engine in it..."

That has been my experience too, my father in law has quite a pricey Windows 7 machine and it struggles with quite a few things that our nine year old XP machine sails through. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE