Inuit Fishing Spear anyone??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stevo

Tenderfoot
Jun 5, 2005
Scotland
I was watching an old "world of Survival" mears episode last knight repeated on UKTV Documentary...He's always on there by the way!!

It was one on the arctic.....saw the inuit fishing spear used.....looked really cool......I've tried to make things similar with little luck.....I cant get the barbs to fix to the points.....Can anyone point me to a tutorial/detailed set of instructions on how to make one......or be prepared to post a tutorial on this......

There is a picture at this web adress..

http://www.arcticphoto.co.uk/gallery2/arctic/peoples/inuitcan/ba9321-20.htm

As usual, your help fellow bushcrafters is much appreciated!

stevo

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
I have made several, but only out of wood. My next one will be of reindeer antler like that one in the picture.

It is really quite easy to make. The one on the picture and on Ray Mear's show has a drilled a hole through where the barbs are inserted. I have used to lash two pieces together with spruce roots as Ray Mears does in another show when he makes a North-West coast indian fishing hook.

That method can with minor adjustments be used to lash the whole deal together with spruce roots. Very easy and sturdy.

Torjus Gaaren

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE