Introductory deer stalking recommendations?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

photonician

Jun 30, 2015
United Kingdom
Hi all (hope i've got the right forum!)

I've been wanting to try deer stalking for quite some time: I'm coming at this from the angle of never having shot anything other than a rubbish air rifle before, so I imagine going straight for a DSC1 wouldn't be wise :)

I've seen quite a few 'introductory deer stalking' days/weekends advertised online, and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations. North Yorks based would be good, however I'd be willing to travel, and I'm not afraid to rough it when it comes to accomodation.

Cheers!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
If you have never shot anything beyond an air rifle, I suggest going along to a local rifle club and learning to shoot a full bore rifle accurately before even thinking about stalking. Shooting is a welcoming and inclusive sport and imo having a solid level of competence in the operation and accurate shooting of the rifle is a necessity before attempting live quarry.

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
If you have never shot anything beyond an air rifle, I suggest going along to a local rifle club and learning to shoot a full bore rifle accurately before even thinking about stalking. Shooting is a welcoming and inclusive sport and imo having a solid level of competence in the operation and accurate shooting of the rifle is a necessity before attempting live quarry.

+1 to that. Although the fundamental concept and principals remain the same, airguns and powder burners are very different animals. Introductory stalking courses I imagine will be predicated on you already being competent at paper punching at at least modest range with full bores. There are several gun clubs in the north York's area, and as red said the shooting community at large is quite accommodating and friendly IME. Its a worthwhile albeit challenging learning curve, but it is accessible to the average person. And remember it's not all about MOA size grouping, it's as much to do with reading the wind and terrain, and learning to track and understand the quarry.

photonician

Jun 30, 2015
United Kingdom
Thanks both, and fair points made. I'll definitely make enquiries with local rifle clubs first. I'd assumed from some of the websites advertising said days that they meant rank novices, having looked again i'd got the wrong end of the stick.

Cheers

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Great advice to find a club. I've been a member of one club for some 35+ years and it's because of the people. Hunted big game for a long time, now I go for the birds.
By the time you put it on the table, it's been an expensive adventure. Hope that you can overlook that point.

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
Perfectly summed up in the first reply.

If you are serious about obtaining an FAC with a view to deerstalking, it can be a long road to travel, but very rewarding when you get there.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE