Interview with Uncle Ray in today's Guardian

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
How about "Strictly Bushcraft"

Wanna be shrafters pit themselves against each other in a series of tasks until only 3 remain. From here on in Lofty, Ray and Bear each take a finalist under their wing to prepare them for the ultimate challenge. And the ultimate reward. Presenting their own bushcrafting show. Who will win? Who will gain the coveted pink spork of shrafting.

You decide.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Hahaha that would be great watching and might actually make the telly become of some interest to me.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'd rather see something a bit like "River Cottage" where a "host" visits experts in their field Stovie making cider or on a scout camp, Cegga making an axe, Xylaria foraging, Jon herping, Harvestman looking at scary wrigglies, Hillbill knife making, Kepis spoon making, Robin on bowls, Tom making rushlights...would be fantastic!

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Thanks for that, for what's its worth I like Mears, I like Grylls As well. Then again I liked watching Les Stroud, Cody Lundin and Dave Canterbury, there all good and there all different?

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I'd rather see something a bit like "River Cottage" where a "host" visits experts in their field Stovie making cider or on a scout camp, Cegga making an axe, Xylaria foraging, Jon herping, Harvestman looking at scary wrigglies, Hillbill knife making, Kepis spoon making, Robin on bowls, Tom making rushlights...would be fantastic!

That would be absolutely brilliant and I would be glued to the sofa!

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Thanks for that, for what's its worth I like Mears, I like Grylls As well. Then again I liked watching Les Stroud, Cody Lundin and Dave Canterbury, there all good and there all different?

Yes I agree with you there they all different things about them that makes us like them for different reasons.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk

...lol, I wasnt being serious...

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester

Sounds like the kind of thing RM tried to do with his country tracks and was able. But, by the sounds of him in the article its something that is less likely to happen now due to the restrictions of the media=£
Shame.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK

Cheers Red. There is an episode of Country Tracks out there with me in it banging on about adders to Ellie Harrison.

darrenleroy

Nomad
Jul 15, 2007
London
Mmmm, I guess Im just being a bit cranky and nit picking really.

Mors Kochanski wrote the book 'Northern Bushcraft' in 1987. Which could be called the definitive modern text on the subject. You could argue endlessly that this was just a re-interpretation of previous woodsmans works. [If you were inclined to, which im not] He later changed the title to just 'Bushcraft'.
I just think Ray Mears must have read it and he's never said a word about it. Then you hear Ray saying things like '.......what I like to call bushcraft' as though he invented the term.

Personally I think Mors Kochanski is the greatest living proponent of 'Bushcraft', not Ray Mears. Each to their own though.

I have no idea if they've met.

Perhaps Ray has never mentioned Mors directly because the interviewer hasn't asked him his views on Mors. Most journos don't have much knowledge of 'this thing of ours'. Maybe Ray never read his book. I don't think it's anything sinister though.

darrenleroy

Nomad
Jul 15, 2007
London
Ray has done more for bushcraft and promoting man at one with nature in his shows than anyone else on British TV ever. I don't say that lightly. He's a one man crusade, a solitary light in a sea of hype. His manner may be a bit dry, even a bit nerdy and lacking in obvious humour but I will take that over sensationalist twaddle any day.

His series on Wild Foods was both informative and entertaining with his eccentric sidekick, Professor Gordon Hillman. His series on the Northern Wilderness was unusual and illuminating for the characters he unearthed showing the pains they went through. Two other highlights for me in his illustrious career were Birch Bark Canoe; an entire episode devoted to the making of... a birch bark canoe! I was mesmerised by the skill his subject had in crafting a thing of beauty out of what he had to hand. He also did some stuff with some forest people in Russia who lived with reindeer. The toddlers were strapped into a cot that was hoisted onto a reindeer when they moved camp. The nappy was dried wood. Ray commented that the babies were very quiet and rarely cried. Perhaps they knew they were onto a good thing living in the forest.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Mmmm, I guess Im just being a bit cranky and nit picking really.

Mors Kochanski wrote the book 'Northern Bushcraft' in 1987. Which could be called the definitive modern text on the subject. You could argue endlessly that this was just a re-interpretation of previous woodsmans works. [If you were inclined to, which im not] He later changed the title to just 'Bushcraft'.
I just think Ray Mears must have read it and he's never said a word about it. Then you hear Ray saying things like '.......what I like to call bushcraft' as though he invented the term.

Personally I think Mors Kochanski is the greatest living proponent of 'Bushcraft', not Ray Mears. Each to their own though.

I have no idea if they've met.

At the 2006 moot Mors said "I've never met Mr Raymond Mears" quote (I heard him say it) and by 1987 Ray was already well 'into' bushcraft plus he's often referenced works from writers that far pre date Mors.

Jul 3, 2013
United Kingdom
I always thought Grylls was a bit off TBH. "I'm going to climb this tree for no reason, jump off the top and land on my HEAD!" Just not into all that Alpha-male stuff. I have it on excellent authority, that his supposed oppos of the SAS (which he rarely ceases to bang on about) also have a rather austere opinion of his showboating. I get the impression that whilst Grylls was jumping out of trees, biting stones to show how tough his teeth were etc, Mears would have built a shelter, picked a bunch of berries for his supper and got a brew on.

However, I distinctly recall Mears saying on some TV show that he'd undertaken one expedition where he'd neglected to take enough food and had killed and eaten his dog, and I'm afraid that damned him utterly and for all time in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
However, I distinctly recall Mears saying on some TV show that he'd undertaken one expedition where he'd neglected to take enough food and had killed and eaten his dog, and I'm afraid that damned him utterly and for all time in my opinion.

That was benedict allen.

Mears did spark my interest in bushcraft, and I do like his shows. I met the guy briefly in 2003, I just wasnt as enamored by him as a lot of people seem to be.....all down to personal preferences really.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE