Interesting way to make a knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Was looking around on Youtube and came across this video on making a carving knife which I thought was quite neat.

[video=youtube;g829Cd3-CJU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g829Cd3-CJU[/video]

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Gonna remember this next time I snap a drill bit...... Ta for the post, now mourning the loss of all those 8mm bits on that job in Essex, could've had knife projects for days 'n' days :D

Rob.

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
Good idea. Nice wee knife... Here's some of my grinder work from Yesterday. :confused:
Snapshot_20141231_zps776f161b.jpg

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Nope. Some people have it in their heads that triple quench is the way its done for better performance. Its a load of rubbish, the steel benefits from as little heat applied as possible, get it to hardening temp, quench, temper it... done. By doing it 3 times, you are just resetting it each time from the last time you did it.

I like that. Is it necessary to quench it so many times though?

Z

Last edited:

Baelfore

Life Member
Jan 22, 2013
Ireland
Thanks for posting!

Really interested in trying this!

A couple of questions for those in the know,
Q1: for heat treating can u use fresh motor oil, instead of used?
Q2: it says temper in the oven for thirty min... any idea what temp??

thanks,

Ste

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Motor oil is a carcinogen, Use veg oil instead.

Hard to quote a tempering temperature without knowing the specific steel type. If its a carbon tool steel, then 220º to 250º would be in the ballpark.

Thanks for posting!

Really interested in trying this!

A couple of questions for those in the know,
Q1: for heat treating can u use fresh motor oil, instead of used?
Q2: it says temper in the oven for thirty min... any idea what temp??

thanks,

Ste

Baelfore

Life Member
Jan 22, 2013
Ireland
Cheers Mark!

Sure I'll give it a bash anyway. I have veg oil and it's a large drill bit so I imagine carbon tool steel.

did alot of the handle work last night so i'll have a go at the bit/blade today.

Baelfore

Life Member
Jan 22, 2013
Ireland
I'll add pics when I get it finished. My handle's alittle different from what he did though!. Its (hopefully) going to be sorta stacked style blackthorn and sika deer antler with deerskin and vulcanized fibre spacers. I'm thinking a little necker if the blade turned out ok!

I can throw up a pic of the handle as it stands now if there's any interest?

P.S. Sorry for hijacking this thread!:yikes:

Ste

Baelfore

Life Member
Jan 22, 2013
Ireland
in the vid he puts the edge on the straight side as opposed to the curve.. does anyone know if their is a reason for this? or is it prefence.

as requested...

Handle in the works. Ignore the one in the backround.. its a handle in the making for a draw type knife to for fleshing skins)

and the blade in progress..

more to come..

Ste

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE