Interesting Theory

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I still prefer "none" for e.g. heavy metals in my utensils. Lets say the metalic drier is fully immobilized. What heppens when the surfacr gets scratched as you eat? Slowly worn away, at least partly into your food, that is what. When there is choices where the answer is "none", I will pick those.

pastymuncher

Nomad
Apr 21, 2010
The U.K Desert
Personally I don't worry about it, we eat from metal containers, use metal utensils, plastics are used everywhere in packaging and all sorts of chemicals etc are used in ceramics. I'm pretty sure that many chemicals cause problems at low levels that we get exposed to, but you would need to lock your self in sealed room of inert materials to avoid exposure. There is a great deal of evidence that the lead replacement in petrol is highly carcinogenic, but it's "green" so it's O.K.
I've worked in many different manufacturing industries and I expect you would seriously think twice about using many everyday products if you knew what went in to producing them.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I suspect that it's the paradox of a natural wooden bowl/ plate/ utensil covered in preservatives that in themselves are created by industrial processes.
Dressed up with a fancy finish just for show isn't terribly practical in the long run.

A bit of beeswax polishes up a fruit bowl fine.....so does carnuba but it doesn't grow here. Linseed does, but the slow drying puts many off, and let's be honest it doesn't taste good, great on a knife or axe handle though, especially if used in our damp climate.
Oil a kuksa and it floats on top of your tea :yuck:

I think it's horses for courses.
I scrub my cutting boards, I don't ever oil them, I don't see the point of shiny boards and if they're scrubbed regularly hygiene's not an issue.
Wooden bowls get beeswax polished; wooden handles get the linseed oil treatment and some patience while they dry off someplace just warm, and spoons and kuksa's just don't get oiled or waxed.

Lot easier than fretting over the ingredients in commercial finishing lacquers :)

cheers,
Toddy

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
I know IKEA sell some sort of a magic mineral oil for use on their chopping boards, but what it contains is a mistery. I use this on spoons I carve.

Ian S

On a new journey
Nov 21, 2010
Edinburgh
Hmmm interesting article.

I'm still going to use pure Tung oil until I finish the tin, then pure Walnut oil until I finish the bottle, then raw linseed oil.

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Oil a kuksa and it floats on top of your tea :yuck:

I think it's horses for courses.
I scrub my cutting boards, I don't ever oil them, I don't see the point of shiny boards and if they're scrubbed regularly hygiene's not an issue.
Wooden bowls get beeswax polished; wooden handles get the linseed oil treatment and some patience while they dry off someplace just warm, and spoons and kuksa's just don't get oiled or waxed.

I agree with this but have not bothered to read the article in question

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE