interesting SAS kit?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
i used to have an aluminium water bottle, boiling water in it was always very long and tedious. it just never seemed to workout to be such a good idea in practise as it was in theory.

i've got an old book round here with some "sas" belt orders in.

cheers, and.

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
Rich,

The little pouch being used for the prismatic compass is an altimeter pouch, I saw one of the knife pouches with issue clasp knife go for about £35 :eek: a few weeks ago on evilbay , as LS said, put SAS on it and you get a lot more interest than if you just list it as issued kit. British Special Forces 1945 to the present, ISBN 0853687854, has a few pictures of the belt kit, one has the cross over yoke fitted as well.

Brian

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
I'll try to post a picture i have in a book called "Survival" ! ;)
here you go!
found in book "survival" by len caccut
the numbers are for a list i will add later!
ee0cf322.jpg

from Combat and survival magazine.
ee0cf314.jpg

a close up of the ammo pouches, Combat and survival magazine.
ee0cf300.jpg

an article in Combat and survival about SAS webbing.
ee0cf2e3.jpg

it mentions the "cross over straps, these were very simular to 44 pattern straps.
i have more i can add later!

East Scout

Tenderfoot
Jun 28, 2006
Alaska
www.hostingphpbb.com
Interesting thread.......I have the Combat and Survival book series in hardcover.Great bunch of books w/ loads of info.

Also: Great pictures and info of belt kit..Makes me wanna put my Pat 58 back into service.

ES

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
I had the same E&E pouch but in OG on my belt kit for many years, it was a canvas outer with a nylon lining to help keep it dry, took a small issue messtin perfectly. I can't remember who made them but they were not issue kit and had to be bought privately....I used it on my belt kit (just that pouch not all the other junk he's got on there or the contents) right up until my entire webbing got stolen by somebody on the military tented camp in Nijmegen.

Good bit of kit by all accounts and there was some talk of it becoming issue...then not long after that PLCE came in in a big way and that was the last I heard of it.

As far as that kit is concerned it's been home made from bits of issue and non-issue kit from various periods in time (quite common to do that before PLCE came in). I don't think it was ever used by a soldier thuogh as there's far too much survival gear in it and nowhere near enough mag pouches!!!!
You live from your bergan, FIGHT from your webbing and survival from your smock.....you don't carry a whole webset full of e&e gear.

Cheers,

Bam. :D

leon-1

A lot of the old pouches were available through survival aids including all of the belt order. From what I remember of thier stuff the main differences were that the pouches sat on belt loops rather than the C clips that used to be used on normal issue 58 Pattern pouches.

The crossover yoke is a complete disaster, I still have one in my kit somewhere. I liked my 58 pattern once I had sorted everything out (changed the belt so that it had QR buckles, changed the pouches so that they suited me, fitted a hippo pad and all the rest of it), but the current issue stuff is better in many ways. One of the major uses that webbing gets is as something to sit on or as a pillow

Webbing is ideal for load carrying in the forces, things are easily identifiable at short notice and not just to the owner of the webbing, the modular design allows things to be added or removed quite quickly for use in different enviroments or situations.

It is however very much a case of horses for courses, do people in normal civilian life need the same rapid access to bits of kit as the average soldier?

Most people here could get away with the use of a small daysack or the side pouches from a PLCE bergan for day excursions.

Interesting thread you have started here RAPPLEBY2000:)

Adi

Nomad
Dec 29, 2004
Our prefered belt order was your L & R ammo pouches then the rest of your pouches were made up of 58 water bottle pouches.

You can get a small mess tin in one, your S5 or later S10 into anouther with the filter sticking out.

Some of the lads chose to use 1 kidney pouch..

NBC kit was normally in the top of your bergen but unlike the rest of the lads our bergens were normally with use.

I loved the 58 webbing. once you had got it right for you and taped it up, got it wet and let it dry to your shape it fitted like a glove.

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
Bam,

All the pouches were issued, not to everyone but to troops Hereford during the 70's and 80's before PLCE was introduced, a mate of mine worked in the stores there and had the complete set of pouches as you see in Raps picture. Kit was personalised, in this case by spraying it and on a lot of occasions by adding a roll pin belt, some added US M16 ammo pouches so as to carry more ammo. The E & E pouch you have is an Escape Ration Pouch and as you said it had a lining to keep the stuff inside dry, Survival Aids used to produce copies of a lot of the kit, e.g. knife pouch and ammo pouch. As I said in my previous reply, the pouch set is pretty much as it was issued from the stores and if you can find the book I mentioned it gives pictures and full descriptions mate. I know its a bit sad that I know all this but I collected militaria for about 25 years, a lot of it special forces and have loads of old books on the subject and some friends who did that sort of work for a living, :rolleyes:

Brian

Adi

Nomad
Dec 29, 2004
Roll pin belts were hand made by using standard webbing belts and cargo straps, then one of the mod suppliers started making them and selling them through civiy street, it was very rear for stores to get hold of them for issue. Most bought there own as was standard in those days.

The double ammo pouch was indeed mod issue and came into service with the SA80 before the PLCE came out. It never really took off chest rigs were more popular with the infantry regiments i worked with.

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
Adi,

your right about the roll pin belt, they weren't issued but as you said made from webbing straps. The double ammo pouch the SAS got won't hold the SA80 30 round mag, only the SLR or M16 20 round one mate.

Brian

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Brian said:
Bam,

All the pouches were issued, not to everyone but to troops Hereford during the 70's and 80's before PLCE was introduced, a mate of mine worked in the stores there and had the complete set of pouches as you see in Raps picture. Kit was personalised, in this case by spraying it and on a lot of occasions by adding a roll pin belt, some added US M16 ammo pouches so as to carry more ammo. The E & E pouch you have is an Escape Ration Pouch and as you said it had a lining to keep the stuff inside dry, Survival Aids used to produce copies of a lot of the kit, e.g. knife pouch and ammo pouch. As I said in my previous reply, the pouch set is pretty much as it was issued from the stores and if you can find the book I mentioned it gives pictures and full descriptions mate. I know its a bit sad that I know all this but I collected militaria for about 25 years, a lot of it special forces and have loads of old books on the subject and some friends who did that sort of work for a living, :rolleyes:

Brian

If you say so Mate, you're the expert. :) They certainly weren't issued to my mob (which being TA isn't suprising!lol). I still don't believe any soldiers carried that ammount of e&e kit though. I'm sure if you say that type of pouch was issued then you're right (mine must have come from survival aids as I bought it myself) and I agree many squaddies including my self customised webgear but it wouldn't have been used in that way....their RSM would have had a fit if he'd seen all that survival gear lol :lmao: .

I liked the old 58 pattern too. Back when I was a cadet I had my kidney pouches poprivetted together and then a 58 waterbottle pouch prestudded to each side of that and then two sets of single ammo pouches next to that on each side, hippo pad in the middle, poncho roll top and bottom, webstraps cut off the large pack round that lot vertically (just to the outside ofthe buckle on the kidney pouches) and a bungee round the whole lot to keep it tight. Then cut off the entrenching tool attachment on the yoke so I my bergan didn't rub it.
Pain in the bum in the wet but very comfy to carry once you'd broken it in. Still loved the PLCE kit when it arrived and ditched my 58 in seconds! lol

Cheers,

Bam. :D

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
when i was in the army(TA) it was comming to the end of the 58" period though we still used it, i remember sewing camo material onto my pouches, and using a black marker pen to add camo stripes to parts of it.
nearly everyone had 2 poncho rolls i bought a civy DPM waterproof one(for NBC kit)!

i remeber loads of people using arktis pouches at the rear insted of the kidney pouches, one chap had somehow transfered US ammo pouch clips onto his 58" ammo pouches!
one of the medics had extra straps attached to his yoke he carried 2 US alice rucksacks!one for himself and one full of medics gear!
he carried one on his back and one clipped to his front! :eek:

like many others i found Webbing really useful you always know where to find stuff even in the dark, i used webbing for years on walks and camping trips, though i'd get the odd comment it seemed quite sensible to use(it's very practical).
today i use a set (most home made) based on Arktis, it's all green, each pouch poppers to the next and off again for single pouch use!
it's good cause i can take the fully assembled set to work then when teaching starts i just take the pouch i need and put it on the belt i'm wearing!

I'll post a picture of my kit!

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
here my webbing, though i should point out i very rarely use it as a whole set! usually i take 1,2,or 3 pouches depending on what i'm doing. it's a handy way of keeping all my bit's and bob's together, also it is not an issue set! though parts were allowed as we were saying before!

first photo:
left to right pouch 4 is the only real Arktis pouch, 2/3/5 are all home made, the 2 ammo pouches have been highly adapted
also the yoke is a PLCE webbing yoke again vastly adapted
and the belt is a standard PLCE.
ee04a705.jpg

here you can see all the pouches are poppered to the belt and to each other it helps stop webbing bounce! the attatchment is via a strip going under another then poppering, simular to some new american ideas, i've seen an almost identical system on a US marine first aid pouch!
ee04a6f5.jpg

here's the load out,
left to right: first aid/ waterbottle/cooker kit/tarp/food/water +filter/MoD knife/tool pouch
i will happily go into detail about anything if you want. :)
ee04a6e6.jpg

ok I'll show you what's in that little tool set bag(home made :rolleyes: )
Gerber multi tool, dimond dust sharpener, Firesteel, Ferrensium rod, Turboflame lighter, Whistle, mini compass(suunto), and the james bond pen!
basically looks like a pen it even writes but has loads of blades, saw, file, screwdrivers, tweesers etc.
ee04a6d9.jpg

hope that's of some interest!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE