interesting SAS kit?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
Hi i found this "1980s British Special Air Service belt kit. " on E-bay recently,
but it's already been sold for £158.00 :yikes:
I have a feeling that may be a bargain! :eek:
I was always interested in "survival kits" and there is a sort of cross over with Bushcraft in the minimal kit area. most of it looks genuine but you can never tell!

anyway here it is:
b0_12_sb.JPG

and closeups:
3b_12_sb.JPG

7f_12_sb.JPG

2d_12_sb.JPG

a7_12_sb.JPG

heres the blurb that went with it:
1980s British Special Air Service belt kit.
Camouflaged ‘58 Pattern webbing with two water-bottle pouches, a waterproof lined Escape & Evasion pouch, a utility pouch, an ammunition pouch, a prismatic compass pouch and belt.
The contents are as follows:
2 x water bottles
1 x metal cup
1 x screw gate karabiner
1 x Emergency Flying Ration Mark 9 metal box/mess tins containing: mess tin handles, plastic bags, Silva compass (NSN, luminous markers, small air-bubble), glass magnifying/burning lens, haemostat/artery forceps, surgical gloves, water purification tablets, hacksaw, safety pins, cotton wool, matches (two types), rabbit snares, tin opener and beef stock cubes
1 x BCB Saw, Pocket, Heavy
1 x BCB Matchless Fire-Set
1 x NATO Emergency Fishing Kit
1 x survival tin containing: two sided signalling flashcard (hexagonal light reflective tape/day-glow orange), pen-knife, heliograph (manufactured by George Ibbertson), fishing hooks on line, self adhesive plasters, safety pins, needles and thread, rabbit snare, sealable plastic bag, condom, water purification tablets, razor blade, flint and steel (hacksaw blade with sharpened end), lifeboat matches and striker and brass escape compass with luminous dial
1 x Emergency Flying Ration Mark 4: containing chocolate
1 x Matches Safety No 4 Mark 1 12D/1270: 7 matches left
1 x detonator box AMM.CONT.L21OA1 S.V.525 A DP 1, empty (usually holds 11 detonators)
1 x sealed pack of green paracord
1 x standard size 3 airway

This belt kit is genuine and complete bar SQMS signed for items (magazines, prismatic compass, lightweight baseplate compass, weapon cleaning kit and mini-flares). No provenance provided.

hope that's an interesting read! :D

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I've got some of that stuff myself, the brass button compass and the heliograph are the first things I see. I wouldn't mind getting hold of one of those metal water bottles, I could see them being handy in bushcraft use. Just bung the open topped bottle onto the ashes to boil your water, freeing up your billy can!

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
The water bottles are 44" patern it's still possible to buy them!
they're alloy, but can be heated over a fire to melt the frozen water inside!

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
ahh "potty" i get it now!
"Michael bentines potty time!"

what a strange turn of events! :)

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
:eek:
careful they aren't the real thing, they are the sort of thing i used in scouts, probably made in China orTaiwan very flimsy! definately not up to military standard! :(

I'd keep looking if i were you!

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England

Jon Mawer

Forager
May 2, 2006
Taunton, Somerset
The ww2 us aluminium bottles are also excellent, asare the mugs which come in stainless or alu. Also very easy to get on ebay, and still cheap(ish). Try it, you will be suprised!

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Those SAS belt kits are really unique and I've always wanted to see one up close. Props to you, Rappleby.

Cheers,

Adam

PS: There's a John Gardner 007 novel called "Icebreaker" and in it, Bond snowmobiles through Iceland "living off the belt" so to speak. Anway, it's worth the read because Gardner goes into some detail about the SAS belt pictured here.

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
Hi Folks

Guess that the 44 pat bottle, mug and pouch my old chap got for 10 bob was worth it then...Lol...still got it as well, though mine had a alli screw top...

LS

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
If its not original Eds, he has gone to a lot of effort, the mag pouches seem to be on the wrong side but apart from that its pretty spot on from what I can tell.

Brian

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
Brian said:
If its not original Eds, he has gone to a lot of effort, the mag pouches seem to be on the wrong side but apart from that its pretty spot on from what I can tell.

Brian

All SAS kit is individual...even down to the weaponary they chose to use, so the could be a made up kit by anyone who could get hold of the bits and pieces, The Mag pouches are in this case not for holding mags, this is the individuals "survival" belt kit, not his combat belt kit.

This would be a real easy kit to make, slap SAS on it and someone, somewhere will buy it thinking it is authentic...1 born every minute...lol

LS

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
LS,

The belt kits were actually issued by the SQMS in this configuration, the belt kit would have contained ammunition in the pouches as he wouldn't be going far without his weapon, the pouches were made to carry four 20 round mags. I know kit is individual and how easy it is to get it as I have a similar rig made up form kit that I've been given over the years.

Brian

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
Brian said:
LS,

The belt kits were actually issued by the SQMS in this configuration, the belt kit would have contained ammunition in the pouches as he wouldn't be going far without his weapon, the pouches were made to carry four 20 round mags. I know kit is individual and how easy it is to get it as I have a similar rig made up form kit that I've been given over the years.

Brian

I stand corrected...

LS

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
as for faking the kit......you could i suppose.. but actually finding all the parts will take such a long time in todays world and you'd have to buy from collectors and suchlike that you woulden't make much money especially on Evil-bay! :eek:

from all the information i've gathered over the years all the parts look genuine, it seems standard-ish but theres alot of RAF gear in it like the ration box. :confused:

there was a time when you could buy the ration pouch and ammo pouches, a 58 water pouch(belt loops) and a knife pouch all designed for the SAS, from Survival aids! so it could just be a collector of special forces/survival gear, but again, you'd get far more money from dealers, so my guess would be it's genuine purely from a money point of view. :)

a secound guess is that it's kit left over from the cold war era of a more standard soldier, I was in the TA 1990 and we were given 58 webbing, which was not ideal we were encouraged to do whatever we wanted to make the webbing more comfortable etc (as long as it looked like webbing) , i don't think there was a single set in the company that haden't been adapted one way or another!
i personally used a US army water pouch, US Butt pack, and on one occasion US ammo pouches!
mabey this is a selection of add on's he used? :confused:
again though it's tricky stuff to get hold of and you'd get far more money from a dealer!

I have seen other such "genuine sets"(how am i to know!) and they follow a simular theme, the drop ammo pouches, two 44 pat water bottles, and a smaller pouch for a compass, and no yoke!
acvcording to stuff i've read sometimes they used a 44" cross straps yoke!

i always have a rummage in surplus stores and i have come across 1 44 water bottle set(in pouch) that was so worn out the fabric broke as i was looking at it!
and 1 drop ammo pouch in used condition(i should have bought!)

i know someone i can ask i shall see what he thinks! :27:

i concer it's real! :D
prehaps all the kit shown was not carried all at once!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE