Interesting kickstarter.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
You can give him a load of money and they'll write your name on a tree... doesn't seem the best value to me, perhaps he's trying to recoup money after the miserable sales of his mediocre book

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I'm going to start one, I need a new garage. I'll write your name on the door in a permanent marker and name one of my tools after you.

For £10 you get to be a spanner.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Interesting, not entirely sure those were the reactions I was expecting to get voiced. Each unto their own I suppose.

The point of the kickstarter is a guy trying to make a business from the woods, in an environment where traditional funding options are perhaps not ideal.

That said, yes I do agree with the thing about using the spine of the knife.

J

rg598

Native
Kickstarter is typically used to get funding for product development, with the understanding that once the product is completed you will actually get it. This seems more like a charity drive, with a person asking you to donate money for a good cause, or in this case, to further his own business. To be honest, I don't even see this as a good cause. I would understand if he was trying to get funding to preserve a certain wilderness area, or to plant trees, etc. It seems however that he just wants a cool tree house where his paying students can have parties.

I also get very annoyed with wild food workshops that let you gather enough food for a salad, and then declare that you are now living off the land. I don't know this guy in particular, but that is the vibe I am getting.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
If he was building a structure that was useable by the general (non paying) public I'd have less of a problem with it.

Also given the funding period is open for 34 days, and that kickstarter, I believe, takes two weeks to release the funds... the May 1st completion date seems unlikely.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
It looks like an interesting project but I can think of more worthy places to give away my money.
It comes across like he wants the money for ... almost nothing! My name on a tree? - I have a knife and know how to carve into wood (also how to and how not to use it with a spark stick!).
It is not something I would invest in....
It IS the kind of project I could see myself emulating but doing in my spare time ... over a long period of time :)

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
So let me get this right.

We all pay him to fulfil his life's ambition?

Crikey, I never realised Kickstarter did that. I've got masses of things on my bucket list and very little cash to do it. Maybe people will pay me to do my bucket list.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
So let me get this right.

We all pay him to fulfil his life's ambition?

Crikey, I never realised Kickstarter did that. I've got masses of things on my bucket list and very little cash to do it. Maybe people will pay me to do my bucket list.

Only if you paint their name on the bucket!

Sep 8, 2012
west sussex
i think this venture is called "taking the p***s and preying on people,s gullibility and generous nature" its pretty bloody insulting,
please say nobody has given them anything!?
Might start one up as hitting 40 this year im getting itchy feet, and the realisation is dawning on me that my back packing days might be coming to an end
and being a bit skint, i need you guys to fund a year travelling round Asia, ill send you photos and reports! also ill take a marker and scrawl your name in every bar
toilet i stumble into! like this guy says "come on the journey with me! feel part of it!"
Still more worthy than building this muppet his tree house cocktail bar.

Last edited:

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Personally, I'd hate to have my name on a tree: the tree will not benefit in any way from having anyone's name on it, let alone mine.

I backed a Kickstarter project in the States and got a really useful alternative to the Kelly kettle for my trouble. This one strikes me as something of a rip off. "I'm out."

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
and the review is where ?

Also I'm buying a ferarri, you can back the project at......

Review? Of what, specifically? The Kelly alternative? It works just like a Kelly kettle but is a size that is very easily and viably transported in a rucksack. Since this style of kettle is well known to a lot of people, there didn't seem to be much point in reviewing it. I liked the look of the product, liked what its developer was trying to do and backed it. I don't know what has happened to Boilerwerks since but it would be a shame if it has gone under.

I wouldn't bother with a Ferrari: the insurance is monstrously high, they're useless off road and the boot space can only hold enough for a dirty weekend...

Tuscor

Tenderfoot
Mar 12, 2014
Bristol
Cripes - I've never seen such uncharitable comments - a lot of otherwise nice people, spouting off! If its not your cup of tea, feel free not to invest or support. People give money to much less wholesome endeavours! But be nice.

Makes me a bit embarrassed to be part of this community, given its been called out on his blog.

Last edited by a moderator:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE