Insulated vs uninsulated hiking boots??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

shaun1209

Feb 17, 2007
Los Angeles, Ca
I'm curious what everyones thoughts are on using insulated boots vs uninsulated boots. I'm looking at 2 pairs of boots right now both made my Danner and there are a couple of differences that I would like to get opinions on.

One pair is the Danner Hawk 8" which is more of a hunting style boot that is 8" tall, fully waterproof up to the rim, lined with gortex as well as 200 grams of insulation.

The other is the Danner Mountain Light II which is more of a hiking style boot that is 5" tall, fully waterproof up to the rim, lined with gotex but has no insulation.

I'm going to use these as my all-time outdoor boots but one thing that I'm curious about is the idea of walking through water up to my knees where no matter what...my boots will be submerged. If i'm going to be out in the woods for a few days and on the move fairly frequently are there advantages and disadvantages of one particular style other than the obvious differences between these boots i've described?

The weather where I live normally doesn't get all that cold, maybe 30-40 degrees fahrenheit so I'm not all that worried about my feet getting too cold.

Has anyone used either of these boots and if so how did they hold up for you? If not i'm just more curious what your thoughts are on using a shorter hiking boot vs a taller hunting style boot.....

Thanks to everyone that responds......

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
Hi Shaun,
I only use insulated boots (big skeetex type) for deepest winter (no s**t sherlock) and only then if its really cold or If I plan to sit out in a high seat - motionless and generating no heat.
Regarding the wading through rivers you may even ask yourself do you want a waterproof membrane? without a membrane the boots will dry out far quicker and breathe better on hot days.
Short ankle boots are fine and work well in long wet grass when paired with a good pair of gaiters. Longer boots give better ankle support but generally less flex.
I recently got some good info from Jedadiah on this forum - the guy knows his boots.

Voivode

Forager
Oct 24, 2006
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
I agree with KAE1; insulated boots aren't really all that good for trekking and gore-tex boots aren't as waterproof as you might think. In any case, if you're trogging around in knee-deep water, no boot below a set of waders is going to keep your feet dry and it becomes about wet-management. I would suggest investing in some gore-tex socks to put on (along with a dry pair of socks!) after you're done splooshing around in the water so that your wet boots don't keep your feet wet. If you have to go back in the water, take the gore-tex and your dry socks off, switch back to the wet socks and splash in. Rinse, repeat as necessary. Your feet stay dry when you're not fording streams or whatever and you don't have to worry about tromping around with wet feet all day.

I like boots with a bit more ankle support, but we do a lot of altitude change in the mountains and see lots of uneven terrain. Gaiters are good gear for the snow and mud as well as wet grass. :)

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
I second what Viovode said. Just go for a regular pair of leather boots and waterproof them as much as you can with whatever product you choose to use. If it's cold, put on thick tocks. If it's wet, put on gore-tex socks and gaiters. When you go to bed at night, put on a pair of dry socks and hang the wet socks (ideally wool) up to dry in your tent or shelter or whatever it is you're sleeping under. In the morning, switch socks again.

Adam

robadams

Forager
Aug 19, 2004
Hampshire
I agree with everyone so far. after 22 years in the army I have spent a fortune on my own boots and worn out plenty of the issue ones.
My points are:
Goretex & thinsuate are great for the winter but too hot for the summer. You will suffer from fungus between the toes and will end up paying out for a second pair of boots for the warmer months.
A goretex lining will wear out long before the leather outer and if you waterproof the leather too much the goretex isn't able to breath so you get condensation in the winter. Plus, if it's really cold the leather freezes and you suffer the same problem.
A quality leather boot with a leather lining is much more flexible, you can wear a heavy wool sock in the winter and 2 pairs of lighter wool/synthetic mix for the warmer months.
for waterproofing start with nickwax on the leather and keep the boots clean, a good gaiter such as the Berghaus yeti and for inside you can't go wrong with a set of sealskinz.
Even if the boots are soaked all the way through your feet stay warm and dry.
Seal skinz seem bit pricey but once you have done your first river crossing or walked into a bog by mistake you will understand why.
The Germans make some great boots and you can even buy some slightly used ones in surplus shops - great news because some poor bloke has broken them in for you.

Hope this helps

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
i currently have a pair of karrimor 'orkney' boots. they are unlined, totally waterproof (thanks to excellent leather and plenty waxy stuff), very comfy and reliable. if i want warm feet in winter i just wear more socks!

i was just down at the river and stood in a watery pothole up to the tongue on my boots and didn't feel a thing. i'm still wearing them.... i guess there is more to life than gortex?

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I don't really "do" hiking boots as I often just wear leather trainers or my workboots but I personally can't stand insulated workboots for anything other than standing around in the freezing cold.

They are way too hot for me and get a bit manky on no time.

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
Get yourself a good pair of plain leather boots and invest in a couple of pairs of different thickness wool socks (filson do some nice ones). No Bells or whistles, just comfort and a good sole. Goretex lining only last a short time before it wears out anywhere where the foot rubs against the innert,. Insulated boots are ok in cold climates but even there, their breathability is limited so you end up with damp socks (no good when it's sub zero). with wool socks you can alter the number of pairs you wear, weather dependent and gore tex socks, as already mentioned, will keep them dryer than a liner in the boot.
Baggins

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
i currently have a pair of karrimor 'orkney' boots. they are unlined, totally waterproof (thanks to excellent leather and plenty waxy stuff), very comfy and reliable. if i want warm feet in winter i just wear more socks!

i was just down at the river and stood in a watery pothole up to the tongue on my boots and didn't feel a thing. i'm still wearing them.... i guess there is more to life than gortex?

I have found that 'adding more socks' can make your feet colder as it makes the fit much tighter and cuts down the circulation?

nzgunnie

Tenderfoot
Sep 11, 2005
New Zealand
If they are likely to get wet, (ie wading up to your knees) avoid insulated boots like the plague. They will get wet inside, the insulation will become heavy and will take an age to dry out.

In summer they will still get wet, just from sweat and condensation, will get smelly and stay wet for a long time.

Goretex is ok, but really isnt that hard wearing in boots. Once the membrane is damaged it will not continue to do the job, and quite often your feet put out so much moisture the membrane struggles to pass it all.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE