Instaling liners on a factory made knife?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Hi all, I have a Bark River "Fox River 2" knife purchased while in the states a couple of years ago. Cracking blade but I find the handle a bit thin. Has anyone ever removed the pins from a knife such as this and installed a liner? I'm somewhat reluctant to do it though I'm sure I could. I could wrap the handle in something but I'm not sure what would be the most secure way to do it.I guess it's that or simply trade the knife in and get myself a Bravo 1 which has a much more substantial grip.All thoughts appreciated. Andy

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
That would be a heck of lot of work to do, and with no guarantee of a good result.

Tried buying one with liners from factory? They make them.

The Bravo 1 is an entirely different beast, and I really wouldn't treat it as like a beefier Fox River - very different uses in mind in the design.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
I think it would be easier just to re-handle it. One option to make the grip chunkier is to stitch some wet rawhide around it and let it dry. You can add cord wrap to this too. Of course it would only really look good with natural handle material.

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
That would be a heck of lot of work to do, and with no guarantee of a good result.Tried buying one with liners from factory? They make them.The Bravo 1 is an entirely different beast, and I really wouldn't treat it as like a beefier Fox River - very different uses in mind in the design.
Agreed. Had I known I'd have bought one with liners fitted already. I have confidence in my ability to do it but I know fine well it would never look as good as it does currently. Can't say I fancy wrapping it in rawhide at all but thanks for the idea. Andy

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Why is it all Bark Rivers are smaller than we've been lead to believe when we get them in hand? It's like Maxpedition packs, they must use tiny people as models.

I very nearly bought a Fox, but went for a Canadian in the end.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
What's the handle material? I think you'll find it fine and not much work if they are straight pins not corby bolts. Only possible problem is if it's a wood handle but if it's a micarta or g10 then fine.

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
What's the handle material? I think you'll find it fine and not much work if they are straight pins not corby bolts. Only possible problem is if it's a wood handle but if it's a micarta or g10 then fine.
It's a micarta handle with brass "pins". - They are probably corby bolts though. (knife is at home, I'm at work.)nice65 - agreed. A mate has had several of the Bravo series which have a much beefier handle. I think with liners it would be a fine knife but as it stands it's just a bit skinny for me. Andy(Edit - I'm not sure what it is about this rig internet but it keeps clumping all the text together without any lines between. Odd)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE