Instagram users beware

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Shocker.
If photobucket were about to do the same thing i would be downloading all my content and deleting it.
This is why after 18 years in IT i still dont use facebook.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
My misses set me a f/b account up a few years ago,didnt use it for ages but when friends come to visit from down south or theres anything happening i found it useful to use f/b, i now regret it as you cant get rid of anything you write on it, if you close your account down its all still there, and im nowhere savvy enough to do any tech stuff to rid it so im stumped,just reading sanbenders link left me scratching my head,in my house ive only mastered the sky+ handset,and thats my limits.

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
This is why after 18 years in IT i still dont use facebook.

You know I have yet to find some one who really work's in IT that uses facebook, apart from SEO (I felt dirty just typing that) or the web dev and let's jump on the band wagon crowd.

I think it's because :
A) we have real thing's to do,
B) We are all to aware of the risk (security / personal info leak)
C) The dreaded agreements, EULA, Privacy Policy et'al.
D) The temptation of cluster pop's like this.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
You know I have yet to find some one who really work's in IT that uses facebook, apart from SEO (I felt dirty just typing that) or the web dev and let's jump on the band wagon crowd.

I think it's because :
A) we have real thing's to do,
B) We are all to aware of the risk (security / personal info leak)
C) The dreaded agreements, EULA, Privacy Policy et'al.
D) The temptation of cluster pop's like this.

Well, these and also the 'why?' Why would I want to share a near continuous stream of stuff I do, want to do, am thinking about doing, have done along with pictures of all those things.

I really just don't see the appeal, I'm just old I guess. :)

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
Well, these and also the 'why?' Why would I want to share a near continuous stream of stuff I do, want to do, am thinking about doing, have done along with pictures of all those things.

I really just don't see the appeal, I'm just old I guess. :)

Thing is I have in the past ran a blog, nothing wrong with that in my eye's as I control what I put up and could at least delete it when I was done (and remove the site from the internet archive, sadly not google's cash) but I shared just what was needed not the constant stream of excrement that comes out of social media.

And I am 27 when Facebook launched outside of the USA, I was in the key demographic they where going for 20's young professional etc, never signed up.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...Thing is I have in the past ran a blog, nothing wrong with that in my eye..."

No, nothing wrong with a blog at all, even if its just pictures of bricks you pass by in your day to day life, it is art of a sort or at least a creative endeavour and of course there are some quite amazing blogs out there. Are the some 'quite amazing' facebook pages? Is there anything in there worth signing up for just so you can look at someones facebook page and history? Possibly, but probably not.

I travelled a great deal during the nineties and met and kept in touch with a lot people via email, in those days email was not disimilar to writing a letter, there was no skype, little or no mobile telephony and it might be weeks before the person you were writing to would be able to read and reply. Facebook and some of the other 'advances' in internet communication have reduced communication to simple sentences, text speak and allowed us to flood the internet with ephemera.

What is worse is that there are folks out there who think facebook IS the internet. :(

Last edited:

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
My mother has facebook, my brother has facebook, and now that I come to think about it, everybody I know has facebook.
But I don't, and I won't.

Don't use FB much, but have seen this disclaimer posted by several artist / photographer friends, and have taken the precaution of doing so myself. However I don't think FB would take a blind bit of notice....

[h=5]"In response to the new Facebook guidelines I hereby declare that my copyright is attached to all of my personal detail, artwork, professional photos and videos etc. (as a result of the Berne Convention). For commercial use of the above my written consent is needed at all times.
(Anyone reading this can copy this text and paste it on their Facebook Wall. This will place them under protection of copyright laws.)"
[/h]

WULF

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
Never been a FB user but know plenty who are,they all seem to have had trouble one way or another.I hated the place before but hate it even more now!

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
if you close your account down its all still there

Not if you tell them you are ten years old and that as the minimum age on there is higher than ten it contravenes their own regulations to leave your account live.
Worked for me when I eventually got sick of Facebook and wanted to fully close my account.
Fairly sure I also removed all my photos and only left this one as my profile pic when I did it as well.

6a00d83451da3169e20163009ccd99970d-pi

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
Facebook is evil. Last week we took the little uns to see Santa at a garden centre. While stood in the queue a rather oafish woman told her daughter off for taking pictures, apparently the woman wanted to tag them on Facebook instead. The daughter was probably about 10 and got upset saying she wanted to show her friends the snowman.

touched by nature

WULF

Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
Facebook is evil. Last week we took the little uns to see Santa at a garden centre. While stood in the queue a rather oafish woman told her daughter off for taking pictures, apparently the woman wanted to tag them on Facebook instead. The daughter was probably about 10 and got upset saying she wanted to show her friends the snowman.

touched by nature

She wants beating with a stick!!:rant:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE