insect repellent

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Well tried this last night and didn't seem to get bit ,but not bad infestations here at the mo.
Dr Johnsons Mosi and insect repellent gel ( from Wilkinsons)
Natural aromatherapy based contains Citrapel, Citronella, Eucalyptus oil lemongrass and lavender and other stuff.
Seems quite good smells a little but pleasant seems to work on offer at £1.25 or something worth a look.
Ta Dave

RobertRogers

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 12, 2006
USA
Yes I tried something very similar yesterday and it seemed to work quite well, though this is not a bad bug year (at least yet). I would like to get away from DEET as much as possible after drenching myself for years with it while working in the forest.

May 14, 2006
Consett County Durham
Well tried this last night and didn't seem to get bit ,but not bad infestations here at the mo.
Dr Johnsons Mosi and insect repellent gel ( from Wilkinsons)
Natural aromatherapy based contains Citrapel, Citronella, Eucalyptus oil lemongrass and lavender and other stuff.
Seems quite good smells a little but pleasant seems to work on offer at £1.25 or something worth a look.
Ta Dave

Got some of this from Aldi's the other day (99p on special) glad to hear it works tho, when I read what was in it I thought it was too good to be true.

The strongest smell is of the Citronella but it's quite pleasant and the smell mellows well! plus it's a roll on which is handy.

Kev

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Just back from midgy land and i found that a combination of the old favourite "Avon skin so soft spray" wih a light occasional application of jungle DEET stuff,,,plus a good smokey fire worked a treat !

oh an a magikelly insect netting lol

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Tried it out a bit more on Sunday while tracking deer one bite on the back of my hand which I think I missed with repellent anyway.:)
My sister got bit through her trousers which were a thin dry fast fabric....I was fine with my £4 light weight army trousers!:D
Looking for something for clothing that aint toooo expensive......suggestions???
Ta Dave

Tourist

Settler
Jun 15, 2007
Northants
A friend of mine who used to be a Jungle Warfare Instructor with the army told me what they used to use to keep blood sucking people seeking bite machines away.

Bounce.

No, not jump up and down and wobble. Bounce the sheet thingy you put in the tumble dryer with the washing.

Apparently you wipe the sheet on all your exposed bits and put pieces of the sheet in pockets, hats etc and the little bleeders stay away. I admit I have never tried it, but hey stranger things. Its worth a go if you are a mossie magnet.

Dunelm

Forager
May 24, 2005
County Durham
As anybody tried Nordic Summer insect repellant?

The smell is certainly repellant and has clung to all my kit. I assume the insects would be scared away by my red and swollen face following the allergic reaction after application.

Hunter_zero

Nomad
Jun 25, 2006
Wales
After reading about permethins being use on cloths, I tried an experiment using a natural water based permethrin and it really works!
I've an industrial insecticide that I use in work. I put one cap full in a bucket of hot water and soaked my coat, hat and trouser legs. Let them dry and hey presto, no bites at all! Very good stuff indeed.
The only problem is that I am sure it is UV reflective and the bunnies see me a mile off.

John

Feb 1, 2006
derbyshire
Has any tried taking vitamin B6? As a friend is doing a study into these sort of things and tells me that mideges hate the smell of it and the taste, but not tried it myself yet as I rarely get bitten away.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE