Avon's spray finds calling as midge repellent for Royal Marines

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lardbloke

Nomad
Jul 1, 2005
Torphichen, Scotland
The old Avon lady dropped around to give the other arf her usual collection of potions. Then I remembered an article I had read in the Scotsman some time back regarding one of their products. A quick search brought up the newspaper article that I copied here that is of interest:

Avon's spray finds calling as midge repellent for Royal Marines

ARTHUR MACMILLAN

" They are famed for their ability to operate at sea, in the jungle or in the Arctic wastes and freezing cold of Norway. Battles throughout the centuries have won the Royal Marine Commandos a reputation as one of the world's elite fighting forces.

And as the last line of security in guarding Britain's nuclear weapons, they are pivotal to the Defence of the Realm.

But it appears that on the home front our toughest soldiers are prepared to pander to their softer side to combat Scotland's most persistent foe: the midge.

For years the Marines at Faslane who guard nuclear missiles and the submarines capable of firing them have looked for an answer. They've finally found it in a brand of women's skin cream.

Instead of using mosquito repellent issued by their unit, soldiers and workers at the base are buying Avon body lotion to repel midges on the West Coast. The company traditionally associated with images of well-dressed women selling cosmetics door-to-door is experiencing an unexpected boom thanks to the pesky insect. Neil Smith, a Royal Navy spokesman at HMS Clyde, near Helensburgh, said: "It's not official kit but nothing works better and the Marines are buying it themselves because the midges are so bad up there."

The wonder cure is a £5 bottle of dry oil body spray from Avon's Skin So Soft range. The midge problem at the base where Trident missiles and Vanguard submarines are stationed is so bad it recently installed a MidgeEater machine at the front gate. Workers at the camp can often be seen wearing midge nets on their heads.

Royal Marines are also taking the skin cream on field training exercises outside the base. But although it is the answer to their prayers, they have not been able to buy it at the local chemist.

Smith said: "There has been a lot of group buying because you can only get the stuff from Avon. Some buy it online and others are ordering it through local Avon ladies."

A stores sergeant at 45 Commando, based at Arbroath, said: "There is nothing effeminate about it. The reason the Nods [Marines] are using it is because it is good kit. It works. It's as simple as that."

It is thought that the oily base of the body spray is the ingredient that repels midges. Made with shea butter and vitamins, Avon's packaging boasts that it will "ensure your skin feels velvety soft, hour after hour".

Sales of the spray have gone through the roof this summer with several Avon ladies selling hundreds of bottles.

Anna Brown, Avon's area manager for the West Coast of Scotland, where the company has 353 sales representatives, said word of the body spray's ability to repel midges has spread since the wives of servicemen discovered its hidden qualities.

She said: "We sell it as a body moisturiser but many people tell us they are only buying it to get rid of midges. We don't market it as an insect repellent because its primary use is to soften your skin. But it is undoubtedly one of our best sellers, with our best agents having to order up to 200 bottles every three weeks."

But like the best boots, clothing and equipment which soldiers buy out of their own pocket, there are no plans to make Avon's cream standard issue to troops.

And it is not only the military who are taking advantage of Avon's beauty products. Word of the spray's ability to fight midges has spread throughout the entire West Coast, with sales being picked up in Dumbarton, Campbeltown, Oban and Dunoon. It has also been claimed that both the US army and the SAS use it as mosquito repellent in the jungle.

Brown said: "We don't ask people why they are buying it but some people tell us it is because they have heard it is good at combating midges."

Scottish Water engineers in the Highlands and forestry workers are also placing orders. In recent years a more terminal approach to tackling midges has been the MidgeEater range of traps, which generate carbon dioxide to mimic the exhaled breath of humans which are the midge's favoured haunt. Once fooled into coming within range, the hapless insects are then sucked into the trap at high speed.

But despite its dry oil body spray's midge-fighting ability, Avon seems reluctant to sell the lotion to the British public as an insect repellent.

A company spokeswoman said: "We cannot do that because UK pharmaceutical laws ban us from doing so, although there has been talk of it being marketed as an mosquito repellent in America where the rules are different."

There are more than 30 species of midge in Scotland but it is the female Culicoides impunctatus variety that causes torment. It is the only type of midge that bites. The crew responsible for the final episodes of Monarch of the Glen set at Ardverikie estate, near Loch Laggan, wore anti-midge body suits and veiled headgear while filming."

Just checking the Avon catalogue and the spray is selling at 2.50 a bottle (bargain), so I am going to get a few bottles to ease the summers feeding frenzy (ankles covered yet again).

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Lardbloke
Any chance you could get me a bottle when you order - I'm more than happy to cover your costs. :)

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
You can't beat DEET. But it does have it's dangers. I prefer to put it onto my clothing rather than skin. Have you tried eating lots of marmite? :)

http://www.snopes.com/oldwives/skeeters.asp

For decades rumor has held that Skin-So-Soft Bath Oil is an effective counter to mosquitoes, yet a 1993 Consumer Reports analysis found it ineffective for that purpose. Because so many people were buying the product for its purported mosquito combating properties, in 1994 Avon added a non-DEET repellent and a sunscreen to the popular bath oil and began marketing the new concoction as Avon Skin-So-Soft Bug Guard Repellent. Avon disputes the 2002 results posted in the New England Journal of Medicine study, claiming its Bug Guard Repellent works for three hours, not the 10.3 minutes for its Bug Guard Repellent and the 22.9 minutes for its Bug Guard Repellent Plus the study found, but a 2003 Consumer Reports analysis found the Skin-So-Soft repellent deterred mosquitoes for only one hour.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
I've been using it for well over a year now and i can highly recommend it .... the skin so soft 'woodland fresh' works a treat :D

:)
Ed

Big Geordie

Nomad
Jul 17, 2005
Bonny Scotland
It works for me on Jura where they are particularly ferocious. It discourages them from biting, which is great, but unfortunately they still congregate around your head neck etc that its difficult to breathe and keep your eyes open at times.So if I have to be out at the worst times, and nobody is likely to see me, I slip a head net on.
My neighbours mostly wont stay out for long at the critical times other than dash to pub, bring in washing etc. Barbecues can be a bit frought.
I've always been into ecology and wouldn't dream of disturbing natural habitat and eco systems. But I must confess to wondering if genetic engineering might rid us of these pests for good. As far as I'm aware they don't fulfil any useful purpose, or maybe none has yet been discovered. Someone will probably use them as a cure for cancer in a 100 years so perhaps its live and let live for a bit longer.
George :D

lardbloke

Nomad
Jul 1, 2005
Torphichen, Scotland
scanker said:
You can't beat DEET. But it does have it's dangers. I prefer to put it onto my clothing rather than skin. Have you tried eating lots of marmite? :)

I find deet does work, but as you say it has its draw backs. I live in low land Scotland, out in the sticks and cannot afford to keep putting on expensive products everytime I go outside. I have tried lots of remedies over the years with varying success. I eat lots of marmite for mid morning breakfast and it sometimes works and sometimes it doesnt. I eat garlic as well just for good measure. When I go running and go to bed at night, I give the old ankles and legs a good spray of deet type spray , but the little buggers still have a go. I think they wait till its effects have worn off then attack. I find it strange that the Mrs never gets nibbled my the little blighters, only me, must be my rich Spanish/Irish blood in the veins.......

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE