Information about british gore-tex bivi bag (is a three-layer construction...?)

Hi all, I`m a new member from spain.

I need know if the british army gore-tex bivi bag is constructed on three-layer fabric, or the goretex foil is directly exposed in the internal side whitout protection against friction.

In this picture:

http://www.ukkitmonster.com/product_info.php?cPath=43&products_id=89

White appearance of the interior side suggests that the Gore-Tex (which is a white foil) is unprotected. Would greatly appreciate that someone who has this bivy clarify me this issue, because he had thought of buying it and I do not take surprises. Personally I prefer the bivy in the GORE-TEX foil is between an outer layer and inner layer of tissue like "Cambrelle"

Best regards

sandbag47

Jun 12, 2007
northampton
Well the British army bivvy bags are Gore-tex. but I'm not sure what you mean by 'foil' ?
The bivvy bags are tough, they have to be as they can well abused by squaddies.
And they do work. I know, I slept on a hillside once that turned into a stream during the night due to bad weather and I was lovelly snug and dry in my bivvy-bag!!

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
The picture Endicotts have of one shows either a whitish or grey plain inside. They havn't got a pic of the latest pattern, but if you email Endi's they will tell you (they are very helpful). BTW - Endi's call the fabric an 'MVP', in other words, its not Goretex but something similar. Whether they are Goretex or not is a debate which has filled a couple of threads on this site or Outdoor Magic on and off for years...I simply say ask Kevin!

torc

Settler
Nov 23, 2005
left coast, ireland
British MVP is the generic equivalent of 3 layer Gore-Tex.
The ukkitmonster bivi photo suggests that the inner protective fabric layer is lighter shade than the normal green.
Happy trails...torc.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've heard of some issue bags that actually have a genuine Gore-Tex brand label stitched in, I've never seen one myself but the two I've had both had the silvery lining and a NATO MVP tag, no mention of goretex.

If you search for "goretex bivvy" on ebay you'll see some which are green inside and others which are silver, some are even somewhere in between, I don't think there's much difference and either one will stand up well to squaddy abuse.

I have a Terra Nova Saturn hooped affair which has the white fabric face you mentioned, no probs with that so far

Dec 16, 2007
I have had no problem with Uk Kitmonster. But I have not had to return anything as the kit I got was good and at the time was the only supplier of what I wanted.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
... I like know if [ukkitmonster] is reliable, because I live in Spain and if there are problems all will be more difficult to solve because I can not access the physical store. Someone has bought in this store and can tell me if this shop is trustworthy or not?

I have never bought anything there, but ukkitmonster appears to be a "Top rated seller" on eBay. I do not know the requirements for a "Top rated seller" on eBay but I imagine that the supplier needs to be reasonably competent to achieve that standing.

Here is a random post from another forum which might help you.

http://www.arrse.co.uk/weapons-equipment-rations/84424-vanguard-tailored-webbing.html#post1856668

The guy who runs ukkitmonster (Dom) is a reasonably regular poster on that forum. The members there don't take any cr@p.

Hello everyone, this morning I received at home British Army bivy bag purchased in kit monster, and as I promised I write my comments with some pictures.

The cover is very long, more than it did before (a mil-tec version of the American army in flectarn camo) and seems well built. The part that goes from the neck to about the waist is extra-wide and spacious, and the tissue is in fact three layers: A tough exterior and an inner like Cambrelle protecting the Gore-Tex foil that is sandwiched between these two layers.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Ultimately I think it's a good bivy bag. In particular, it is noted that all the fabric is laminated to Gore-tex including the bottom, while in my last bivy bag the gore-tex was alone at the top. I like this a lot :)

I would also add that the treatment of monster kit has been excellent. I had a little trouble paying shipping costs because of particular system they use, and I sent an email to Lawrence, he answered right away and fix everything quickly, his answer was very friendly. Personally, I think this store is highly recommended!

Regards.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
It is 9feet long so you can pull the drawstring tight, [like a hood] so there is only a small diameter surrounding your face. Suerte!

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE