Where to get Gore Tex for a bivi???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

peterbennett9

Forager
Nov 20, 2010
Belfast
Hi, i have just joined this forum today, hello from belfast! are many of you from belfast?

I wish to make my own bivi bag but am struggling to find a gore tex (or similar breathable material) fabric supplier, is it possible to buy this fabric by the sheet? if not what are my alternatives??

Any help greatly appreciated!

thanks

Peter

peterbennett9

Forager
Nov 20, 2010
Belfast
thanks, how would these fabrics compare in terms of breathability and hydro static head to gore tex? are they very similar? would i notice a difference? i sleep quite warm and hence breathability is quite an important factor

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I wouldn't like to say really mate, not much help I know but I don't want to give you the wrong advice. I do know that the folk there are really helpful and will happily advise you on which to pick.

I'd probably say this one but again it's best to check what their ratings are.

vildor

Nov 6, 2010
Portugal - Lisbon
Gore-Tex is a brand name. The guys that make it only sell it to whoever they want, and that certainly isn't the final consumer.
However, there are a lot of other fabrics with different names that ARE gore-tex. They just don't have the same name. Just ask the shop for details on it and they will tell you everything you need to know.

Chrisj

Nomad
Oct 14, 2009
Gwynedd
I suspect it may not turn out much cheaper to buy waterproof breathable fabric to make a bivi and stuff to seal the seams than to buy a surplus bivi from Endicotts or ebay. Although you can make it to your own design by making it yourself.

peterbennett9

Forager
Nov 20, 2010
Belfast
aha i see well i might give up on that idea then, i dont recon i would make something much different to the issue bivi anyway so if its not gona be much cheaper theres no point

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Gore-tex and sypma-tex and lots of others are available from the states by the metre. I cant recall the companies, but if your interested Ill find the links.

Ive just bought some forest green waterproof breathable pertex from Fabrics n stuff to make a bivi-bag. It doesnt seem to breathe much better than other coated fabrics, but seems OK. It is very waterproof though and weighs about 1.7 Oz per sq metre-its made a very light bag.

peterbennett9

Forager
Nov 20, 2010
Belfast
Ah so how does the pertex perform in use? Do you get much condensation? I would definitely be interested in those links if you have them.

I take it sympa-tex is similar to goretex? As breathable?

Did u have to use a heavy duty sewing machine to sew the pertex?

Peter

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
The pertex is really thin, sewing it is just like ripstop nylon. I use the Microtex needles for it in the machine.

I am getting a little condensation but its not too bad-its early days though and I need to test more. I made a poncho out of the pertex too and that is doing ok, but its a bit clingy when soaking wet.

From memory, sympa-tex is not quite as breathable as the modern gore-tex(maybe wrong on this). I believe a material called Epic is also for sale in the states by the metre. E-vent is the one, but the chances of getting some are less than it being 20oC and sunny tomorrow. :)

http://www.rockywoods.com/Fabrics-Kits/Waterproof-Breathable-Fabrics
Both Pennine outdoor and Pro-fabrics have some reasonable looking W/B fabrics (haven't used them yet) and Extremtextil do a good range too.

http://www.extremtextil.de/index_en.html

Willderness

Tenderfoot
Aug 16, 2009
UK / UAE
2 years back I bought a US army bivvy bag (Gore-Tex), new on eBay for $25 (£16). I saw the exact same one at the Wilderness Gathering for £100!

It's a good idea to check the US site and ask if they'll ship it here. Often it works out a lot cheaper.

Good luck!

Will

Willderness

Tenderfoot
Aug 16, 2009
UK / UAE
2 years back I bought a US army bivvy bag (Gore-Tex), new on eBay for $25 (£16). I saw the exact same one at the Wilderness Gathering for £100!

It's a good idea to check the US site and ask if they'll ship it here. Often it works out a lot cheaper.

Good luck!

Will

Edit: Ah here we go! Still the same price :) http://cgi.ebay.com/US-Military-Sur...aultDomain_0&hash=item2eb1a99b43#ht_500wt_922
Really breathable, tucked up inside your sleeping bag you don't even know it's there. However now I'm leaning more towards the hammock mentality, seems a lot more comfortable!

And you can always rely on the UK seller being many times the price! http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/US-sof-socom-...Militaria_LE&hash=item5add87b81b#ht_500wt_922

Last edited:

pastymuncher

Nomad
Apr 21, 2010
The U.K Desert
Has anyone found any comparison data on the breathable fabrics, I've been digging around on google but nothing so far.
The last comparison I read about (but didn't actually see the report) was in a book called Extreme Alpinism by Mark Twight, the report claimed gore tex was a poor runner up ( this is quite a few years old now though).
There are a lot of claims made by these fabrics but I have yet to see any scientific data to compare them with one another.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Are you definately looking to make your own? I have a goretex bivvy (used once in the garden) I might be willing to part with. If you want to go the lazy option drop me a PM :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE