Indiana jones style bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

harlequin

Aug 8, 2004
UK
Right lads,
I've been trawling the archives here, looking for a WW2 gas mask bag as they are properly known (or to the younger crowd, an Indy bag). Now I remember a thread, a while ago, showing off some guys kit that was contained by one of these canvas bags but for the love of me I can't find the thread! I've looked on evilbay at some ex-ho-tortionic prices for such an item. Now lads, cast your mind back to a month or three ago (maybe four) and remind me of it!

PS I'm sure some bushcraft supplier sold one, but I've been through my bookmarks and still can't find it!

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
Definitely head for yor local Army Surplus store. I like a bag to be a little bigger than many I have found (bigger than the gas mask bag ceratinly) so for years I have used an old webbing backpack with the straps removed. I stitch (or rivet) a 3" webbing belt to the sides or to the tabs that are on the back (Don't know what the are there for, probably to attach some military kit to) to act as a shoulder strap and hey presto, a virtually indestructable bag that holds plenty of bits n bobs for about a tenner and twenty minutes work max.
I have been using one of these bags for carrying my kit whilst out shooting for years and years. The webbing is so tightly woven that the bag is almost watertight too.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Believe it or not, in British Home Stores at the moment in the mens section they have excellent shoulder bags of the Indiana Jones pattern for about £8 IIRC

beamdune

Oct 14, 2005
Manchester
The Indiana Shoulder Bag is a replica of the WWII MKVII and is made by Travelproof. I started a thread (type in 'travelproof' and it'll come up) but haven't yet figured out to to link to other threads :eek:

I got one from www.survivalschool.co.uk for £15

It is smaller than I was expecting and very khaki - a lot of the pictures of the bag show it being an olive green colour.

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
Spacemonkey said:
Not being too pedantic, but wasn't Indiana Jones's exploits set BEFORE the war???

This has been bugging me and I'm right-the Nazi book burning featured in the Last Crusade, the last film, happened in 1933, so how did Herr Jones have a 1937 gas mask bag? Was he a time traveller too???

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
i imagine the film maker liked the look of the bag! ;)
(it is being quite padantic! :rolleyes: )

to be more padantic, watch any film and you'll see minor flaews like this,
next time star trek new generation is on take a look at the ornaments, you will see the odd Sigg bottle!

also i used to have an interest in different army webbing pouches, and you will see all sorts of miss matched kit especially on US war films.

i seem to remember seeing waffen SS soldiers wearing post WW2 Austrian camo, now i'm being padantic! ;)

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
There's loads of anachronisms in the Indiana Jones films.

Raiders is set in 1936, yet there are references to the Afrika Korps (didn't exist until 1941), the Nazis carry P38 pistols and MP40s and at one point Indie threatens to blow up the Ark with an RPG7 (1962)

East Scout

Tenderfoot
Jun 28, 2006
Alaska
www.hostingphpbb.com
I made a nice shoulder style bag from Dutch DPM fabric w/ pockets from Dutch DPM BDU trousers..and some other ods and ends I had sitting about..Ran it through the sewing-machine and it came out pretty nice.Id post pictures but I see no attachments are permited.......

ES

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
RAPPLEBY2000 said:
i imagine the film maker liked the look of the bag! ;)
(it is being quite padantic! :rolleyes: )

to be more padantic, watch any film and you'll see minor flaews like this,
next time star trek new generation is on take a look at the ornaments, you will see the odd Sigg bottle!

also i used to have an interest in different army webbing pouches, and you will see all sorts of miss matched kit especially on US war films.

i seem to remember seeing waffen SS soldiers wearing post WW2 Austrian camo, now i'm being padantic! ;)

It's p-e-dantic... :lmao:

Yes, I know what you mean though... Hollywood has never had a good track record for historical accuracy...

Jack

Oct 1, 2003
Dorset
RGRBOX said:
That's for sure.. although there has been some giant leaps lately.. SPR.. BOB as in material worn..

For sure the uniforms were pretty dam close. Then they go and ruin it by using hand signals that weren't used during WW2 - they were used during the Vietnam war. :eek:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE