Indian giver?

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I suppose with times being hard like they are now your pals maybe had a chance to recoup some costs somewhere, go for the load if you like, or don't. I don't know how you feel about him and or the timber anymore. It's free timber but it'd stick in my craw when I burned it.

You can only decide,
GB.

Kong

Forager
Aug 2, 2013
Somerset
I think if somebody said to me that they had a load of wood I can have, the first thing I would say is do they want anything for it.

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
I think if somebody said to me that they had a load of wood I can have, the first thing I would say is do they want anything for it.

Fingers crossed behind my back, hoping they said "Nah Just take it away, you'd be doing me a favour" And then perhaps learning their favourite tipple and dropping some off.

Ivan...

Kong

Forager
Aug 2, 2013
Somerset
Fingers crossed behind my back, hoping they said "Nah Just take it away, you'd be doing me a favour" And then perhaps learning their favourite tipple and dropping some off.

Ivan...

Yes that is pretty much how I would imagine the scenario to pan out

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
My level of expertise comes from reading the Wikipedia entry, still don't think it means that anyone can march into a public or private wood and help themselves to trees, which is what he was implying

sorry didn't mean to imply that either, just that there is common law that works for the self sufficient for a change...

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
(devils advocate) but i don't want to go somewhere else i want to live in my homeland......

Perfectly understandable. I have an adventurous nature (or at least I did when younger) and quite enjoy traveling and experiencing other cultures, but like most people I also always want to return home at some point. Most of us feel most at home in our own native culture and environment.

So it seems a little contradictory when you complain about your culture in several posts (the laws that prevent you from living off grid) and yet when someone suggests that you could go somewhere more suited to that goal, you fall back on not wanting to leave your homeland. Remember, those laws, and the philosophy behind them, are part of what makes it your homeland. Not your favorite part perhaps, but part of it nonetheless.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
ok i agree to the whole private property and stealing bit, i don't have a problem with paying in that sense. but what about public woodland oh wait its illegal to hunt, with very good reason, for safety i know. but what if safety isn't a concern.......

I doubt safety's the reason you can't hunt on public land. The biggest part of our public land is open to hunting and that's where the fewest hunting accidents occur.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Perfectly understandable. I have an adventurous nature (or at least I did when younger) and quite enjoy traveling and experiencing other cultures, but like most people I also always want to return home at some point. Most of us feel most at home in our own native culture and environment.

So it seems a little contradictory when you complain about your culture in several posts (the laws that prevent you from living off grid) and yet when someone suggests that you could go somewhere more suited to that goal, you fall back on not wanting to leave your homeland. Remember, those laws, and the philosophy behind them, are part of what makes it your homeland. Not your favorite part perhaps, but part of it nonetheless.

I agree with Santaman strongly here, the law system and lack of written constitution has given the UK populace freedoms and rights that are envied around the globe and the ability for the common person to affect change through the courts. It's by no means perfect but it's better than most.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
......Nothing - provided that you own the wood. If you don't own the wood, that's theft. Someone else planted that tree, grew it on, likely protected it from disease and ring barking - its theirs. If you want to do the same, buy some land and plant some trees - that's what I did.

Exactly. Timber is a crop like any other. The only real difference is it takes longer to grow than other crops.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I doubt safety's the reason you can't hunt on public land. The biggest part of our public land is open to hunting and that's where the fewest hunting accidents occur.

You seem to have a touch more public land than us and maybe the gun culture in the USA means that people into hunting get their children involved and thus trained at an earlier stage?

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
A friend of mine is having some trees cut down and asked me if I'd like the wood. I said "yes" and since there is likely to be quite a bit of it, we have invested in a trailer (we've been offered other logs for free elsewhere too). It's eucalyptus and hornbeam, so pretty good stuff to burn (some would say the best for the hornbeam) but it's going to be unseasoned cordwood, which will need lugging, cutting and splitting before seasoning.
He's now asked me if I'd like to contribute financially towards the wood? I'd already offered to buy him lunch and although as cut/split logs there's a certain value there, as unseasoned cordwood, I'm a bit reluctant after I thought we were getting a gift.
Do tree surgeons give a discount if they take the wood or do they charge to take it away?

My first response would have likely been 'hang on a minute. I thought you meant it was gonna be free?'

I stopped at a garage yesterday and they wanted £4.99 for a sack of split pine, measuring 36cmx 20cm.

I asked him if he was joking.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
My first response would have likely been 'hang on a minute. I thought you meant it was gonna be free?'

I stopped at a garage yesterday and they wanted £4.99 for a sack of split pine, measuring 36cmx 20cm.

I asked him if he was joking.

In fairness, I've looked back at his initial text and it just said "Having some trees down, did you want the wood?" It was my assumption that they were free, I'll know to ask next time...

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
You seem to have a touch more public land than us and maybe the gun culture in the USA means that people into hunting get their children involved and thus trained at an earlier stage?

Possibly. But more likely because hunting on public land is more regulated and patroled. Many of the safety laws (such as the requirement to wear hunter's orange) don't apply on private land, and as stated, private land is rarely patroled by the Fish & Game Service (it has different names in different states but basically they're all cops enforcig game and fish laws)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE