Indian giver?

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
A friend of mine is having some trees cut down and asked me if I'd like the wood. I said "yes" and since there is likely to be quite a bit of it, we have invested in a trailer (we've been offered other logs for free elsewhere too). It's eucalyptus and hornbeam, so pretty good stuff to burn (some would say the best for the hornbeam) but it's going to be unseasoned cordwood, which will need lugging, cutting and splitting before seasoning.

He's now asked me if I'd like to contribute financially towards the wood? I'd already offered to buy him lunch and although as cut/split logs there's a certain value there, as unseasoned cordwood, I'm a bit reluctant after I thought we were getting a gift.

Do tree surgeons give a discount if they take the wood or do they charge to take it away?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Give him the contact details of his local firewood supply company and tell him to ask them how much they'd give him to take it away.....after you've phoned and asked how much it would be worth.
I know round here they don't pay for the firewood and most of the folks who plank and kiln dry won't be interested in self felled stuff.
Might be different your neck of the woods though, but it's why most tree surgeons chip timber.

cheers,
Toddy

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
They certainly don't give a discount for taking the wood. A buddy of mine charges me £100 for a 7 1/2 tonne lorry full to the top of the sort of wood you describe - but that is delivered to my yard and a heck of a lot of wood.

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
They certainly don't give a discount for taking the wood. A buddy of mine charges me £100 for a 7 1/2 tonne lorry full to the top of the sort of wood you describe - but that is delivered to my yard and a heck of a lot of wood.

Really? I think its time I looked closer at getting a wood burning stove.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Think it depends on the mate really,

He could be recouping part of the cost of the tree surgeon, but I don't know your friend. When still in the industry I'd sell some but also give away loads, especially to the old folks and those struggling in the surrounding area. Sometimes in kind I'd get some fish, fowl, eggs, homebrew or veg as a present in return but it wasn't expected.

Removal of the timber was built into my price - if the customer wanted it I adjusted my costs accordingly. If they wanted it crosscut for firewood I'd charge them a fair price.

Don't know if that helps?

GB.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Really? I think its time I looked closer at getting a wood burning stove

On the other hand a local guy charges £100 for a dumpy bag of seasoned logs. All done very nicely for those with more money than time. I cut about three lorry loads a year - its hard work

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
A friend of mine is having some trees cut down and asked me if I'd like the wood. I said "yes" and since there is likely to be quite a bit of it, we have invested in a trailer (we've been offered other logs for free elsewhere too). It's eucalyptus and hornbeam, so pretty good stuff to burn (some would say the best for the hornbeam) but it's going to be unseasoned cordwood, which will need lugging, cutting and splitting before seasoning.

He's now asked me if I'd like to contribute financially towards the wood? I'd already offered to buy him lunch and although as cut/split logs there's a certain value there, as unseasoned cordwood, I'm a bit reluctant after I thought we were getting a gift.

Do tree surgeons give a discount if they take the wood or do they charge to take it away?

I think his change of mind was, he offered it to you standing, now he see's a big heap of cordwood, which is worth something, always a tricky one, firewood used to be the bonus on a job, but since the increase in cost of a load, nearly all customers know it has a value.

The eucalyptus is rubbish really, and when cut and stored will look like a grapefruit in no time at all, the hornbeam is an excellent firewood, but cut it and split it while it is green, or you will hit your heart out, when seasoned.

Ivan...

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
On the other hand a local guy charges £100 for a dumpy bag of seasoned logs. All done very nicely for those with more money than time. I cut about three lorry loads a year - its hard work

That's cheap compared to one of the suppliers around here...

[video=youtube;sntSCw0Klvs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded& v=sntSCw0Klvs[/video]

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Actually, that ash doesn't seem too bad. A builders bag is about 0.6m3 at best and people charge high amounts for those. For a cubic metre, if it is properly dry, that's not awful value delivered

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Not to detract from the topic, but I'm not sure the title is exactly PC. :)

it's an American term, coined after a misunderstanding between European settlers and First Nation People, mistakenly called "Indians" because of a confusion with where America was.

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Supply and demand though - great wood, well packaged and delivered.

Indded it is, around here it's £140 to fill a 6ft x 5ft x 3 ft with barn dried and split:

7qpd.jpg

Wonder what I could get for my log pile :lmao::lmao:

A lot more than you paid for it. :lmao:

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Not to detract from the topic, but I'm not sure the title is exactly PC. :)

Indian Giver, is an American expression used to describe a person who gives a gift (literal or figurative) and later wants it back, or something equivalent in return.

Ivan...

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
I charge (to regulars) £100.00 for a new shape hilux load as much as i can safely put on. Never had a complaint.

Not like some of the pics you boys have seen!!

Ivan...

nettles150390

Forager
Nov 7, 2013
High Melton, Doncaster
Personally i just think its stupid that we have to pay for some thing that (technically) you could just go out and cut for yourself. i guess it just goes to show that the world and civilisation has gone south.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE