Inbetween insulation

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
I have a two layer DD-hammock, how well all badly do various insulations work when put between the layers? On a short search could not find anything but I am fairly certain the subject has been discussed half way to death.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Partially inflated self inflating mat beats a foam one in my opinion. Don’t bother with anything like a blanket, not only is the air squeezed out of it, but they‘re a pain to put in and tend to move about in the night.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
I second the air mat between layers. Works a treat.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

greg.g

May 20, 2015
birmingham
Foam or inflatable mats do tend to move about between the layers. The other alternative is a second hand underblanket or one from DD or snugpak.
Will cost you a few quid, but money well spent in my opinion. I tried the alternatives but there sometimes more trouble than their worth.
Its hard to put price on a good nights sleep.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
It depends on how much you move at night. I had to get an underquilt as I move too much, whereas DH thinks a foam mat is fine for warmer weather.

Some people cut up one mat and use the pieces to make wings to attach to a second mat, so that they get more coverage in the shoulder area. Since the hammock wraps around there, you can get cold from the sides even if you have a mat under you. There's plenty on youtube and the hammock forums if you want to go down that route.

Brewers Whoop

Tenderfoot
Dec 19, 2008
Somerset
I used a partially inflated Exped Downnmat for a long time between the layers of DD Frontline, and found it warm and also that it flattened the lay slightly. Combined with either a Snugpak top quilt or a sleeping bag. When the Downmat eventually started to leak around the valves (after 15 years, so not too miffed), I bought a DD under quilt. This, in my opinion, is superior when temperature is 10C or more, but I do not find it sufficient on its own below that. Other opinions differ, of course. I have been thinking about laying further insulation - a cut down sleeping bag for example - between the under quilt and hammock, but suspect that without being fastened in some manner it may just eject itself in short order.

Reactions: TLM

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I used a partially inflated Exped Downnmat for a long time between the layers of DD Frontline, and found it warm and also that it flattened the lay slightly. Combined with either a Snugpak top quilt or a sleeping bag. When the Downmat eventually started to leak around the valves (after 15 years, so not too miffed), I bought a DD under quilt. This, in my opinion, is superior when temperature is 10C or more, but I do not find it sufficient on its own below that. Other opinions differ, of course. I have been thinking about laying further insulation - a cut down sleeping bag for example - between the under quilt and hammock, but suspect that without being fastened in some manner it may just eject itself in short order.
A lot of people have a windproof fabric that they attach outside/below the underquilt in order to increase the warmth from the quilt with very little weight penalty.

Reactions: Brewers Whoop

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I use an underblanket and a self inflating mat to add a bit of rigidity and create a flatter lay.
I'm fussy about how well I sleep due to back problems so I have to be warm and comfortable.
I have a good night's sleep with this set up and stay warm and comfortable with my down bag, which can be opened up and used as a quilt if nessasary.

Reactions: Brewers Whoop

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE