Inbetween insulation

• Hey Guest, We've had to cancel our 2020 Summer BushMoot PLEASE LOOK HERE for more information.

TLM

Native
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
I have a two layer DD-hammock, how well all badly do various insulations work when put between the layers? On a short search could not find anything but I am fairly certain the subject has been discussed half way to death.

Nice65

Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Partially inflated self inflating mat beats a foam one in my opinion. Don’t bother with anything like a blanket, not only is the air squeezed out of it, but they‘re a pain to put in and tend to move about in the night.

greg.g

May 20, 2015
birmingham
Foam or inflatable mats do tend to move about between the layers. The other alternative is a second hand underblanket or one from DD or snugpak.
Will cost you a few quid, but money well spent in my opinion. I tried the alternatives but there sometimes more trouble than their worth.
Its hard to put price on a good nights sleep.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
It depends on how much you move at night. I had to get an underquilt as I move too much, whereas DH thinks a foam mat is fine for warmer weather.

Some people cut up one mat and use the pieces to make wings to attach to a second mat, so that they get more coverage in the shoulder area. Since the hammock wraps around there, you can get cold from the sides even if you have a mat under you. There's plenty on youtube and the hammock forums if you want to go down that route.

Brewers Whoop

Tenderfoot
Dec 19, 2008
Somerset
I used a partially inflated Exped Downnmat for a long time between the layers of DD Frontline, and found it warm and also that it flattened the lay slightly. Combined with either a Snugpak top quilt or a sleeping bag. When the Downmat eventually started to leak around the valves (after 15 years, so not too miffed), I bought a DD under quilt. This, in my opinion, is superior when temperature is 10C or more, but I do not find it sufficient on its own below that. Other opinions differ, of course. I have been thinking about laying further insulation - a cut down sleeping bag for example - between the under quilt and hammock, but suspect that without being fastened in some manner it may just eject itself in short order.

Reactions: TLM

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I used a partially inflated Exped Downnmat for a long time between the layers of DD Frontline, and found it warm and also that it flattened the lay slightly. Combined with either a Snugpak top quilt or a sleeping bag. When the Downmat eventually started to leak around the valves (after 15 years, so not too miffed), I bought a DD under quilt. This, in my opinion, is superior when temperature is 10C or more, but I do not find it sufficient on its own below that. Other opinions differ, of course. I have been thinking about laying further insulation - a cut down sleeping bag for example - between the under quilt and hammock, but suspect that without being fastened in some manner it may just eject itself in short order.
A lot of people have a windproof fabric that they attach outside/below the underquilt in order to increase the warmth from the quilt with very little weight penalty.

Reactions: Brewers Whoop

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I use an underblanket and a self inflating mat to add a bit of rigidity and create a flatter lay.
I'm fussy about how well I sleep due to back problems so I have to be warm and comfortable.
I have a good night's sleep with this set up and stay warm and comfortable with my down bag, which can be opened up and used as a quilt if nessasary.

Reactions: Brewers Whoop