In the paddle strokes of the Inuit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Sliochd nan ron....quick guess off my head...Blue men of the Minch????

What was that book on Greenlandic whaling you mentioned, -I would like to read it

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland

What was that book on Greenlandic whaling you mentioned, -I would like to read it

I'll have to have a look for that book, I may have lent it out and not received it back. But fear not, the fellow who put me onto it has the complete collection so I should be able to track it down through him. I'll report back.

Sliochd = Progeny/seed/descendants/offspring/children, depending on context. Nan = of-the. Ron = Seal or seals. So the literal translation; "children of the seal(s)".

The Blue Men of the Minch, I've always assumed to be the nasty standing waves that form between the west coast of mainland Harris and the Shant islands. In either a strong northerly or southerly, blow, that acts against an ebb or flood tide. Nasty 30' near vertical walls of water.

Got the tee shirt on a trawler fleeing from the Shants in a + force 10 SW gale to the island of Scalpay. Long story but the up shot was that the skipper of the bigger boat who shadowed us in, said to us whilst tying up something about the Blue Men. With the sun shining through the waves I have to say they looked green! :p

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
You can't have your cake and eat it too.

I heard that early attempts to paddle south were frustrated because the innuit kayakers would break off parts of their kayaks to burn to keep warm. Owing to the length of the journey this resulted in too little kayak to remain afloat so the early voyagers sadly drowned.

Thus giving rise to the saying, "You can't have your kayak and heat it too."

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Response to Uilleachan….

Hah!, aye, right enough :D

Na fir ghorma are scary creatures I'm told.
My Dad and my brother sailed through on a schooner in the 1950's. I don't think they ever went back.

M

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
You can't have your cake and eat it too.

I heard that early attempts to paddle south were frustrated because the innuit kayakers would break off parts of their kayaks to burn to keep warm. Owing to the length of the journey this resulted in too little kayak to remain afloat so the early voyagers sadly drowned.

Thus giving rise to the saying, "You can't have your kayak and heat it too."

Can't resist saying that the kayak,heat it, joke was first told on the radio programme with Frank Muir and Dennis Norden capping each other with tall tales. Another was that of the Knight whose horse died in a thunderstorm. He sought refuge at an inn and tried to persuade the innkeeper to lend him a very large Saint Bernard in order to ride onwards. He was refused with the statement, "I wouldn't send Knight out on a dog like this."

My Word was the programme.

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland

Can't find it, and when I mentioned it to my pal he said he'd drop it round, which he did but it was the wrong book. So back at square one. The likely looking books that I've tracked down on Amazon are too recent, my pal apparently got the books at a knockdown price from a bookshop that closed down in Dunkeld in 93 or 94, so the publish dates would be sometime before that.

The book he did bring is called "Arctic Chase" relating the Canadian north atlantic whaling effort.

If it turns up I'll let you know..

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE