In the market for a bergen?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Sep 30, 2014
West Midlands
Hi all.

Long time reader / 1st time poster.

I've been wild camping a few times during the last year and have really enjoyed my time in the woods (never had a better nights sleep).

I'm after a Bergen that can be used as a "jack of all trades". I need one mainly for carrying extra gear when out with young family & on extended outings. It must be rugged as I'm not the most graceful person and often find myself in the middle of a thorny bush cursing quietly.

I've been looking at surplus military equipment (price) but in all honesty my knowledge is virtually non-existent so would love some advice from people that know what they are talking about.

Now for the challenging part. I only have around £50 -£60 to spend. :p and I'm not too keen on DPM. (I quite like OD though)

So in short it must be.
* Big enough to fit anything I'll ever need in it
* Rugged enough to withstand years of clumsiness
* Cheap
* Preferably not DPM

Thank you in advance :D

carabao

Forager
Oct 16, 2011
hove
Have a virtually new US army, Alice pack, no holes or tears, no straps cut, no modifications, with frame. Will post for 50

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
IMHO the first thing to consider is comfort, make sure you get a sac suited to your back length and/or adjustable.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Contact Kevin at Endicotts, found him very helpful with my Bergan Crusader (not yet shown on the website but they have the Vulcan ones listed) Price range is good and service was excellent.
The crusader can be adapted to suit each trip (being designed around the multi mission pack concept) so worth looking into.
hth Rob

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I'd expect that a second hand Karrimor Sabre or Predator might sell second hand for the figure you have in mind, if you pick up the rocket pouches in the same sale or later you'll have a more carrying options for different kinds of trips.

OD, or there are a few in desert tan kicking around.

Sep 30, 2014
West Midlands
Have a virtually new US army, Alice pack, no holes or tears, no straps cut, no modifications, with frame. Will post for 50

Could you tell me what capacity it has and what size it is please

Berghaus Vulcan from ebay - about £40-£50. Bombproof

I've been looking for one of these as they seem to be very popular unfortunately they seem to be quite difficult to find in surplus stores ( keeping an eye on one on Ebay though )

Contact Kevin at Endicotts, found him very helpful with my Bergan Crusader (not yet shown on the
website but they have the Vulcan ones listed) Price range is good and service was excellent.
The crusader can be adapted to suit each trip (being designed around the multi mission pack concept) so worth looking into.
hth Rob

I do like the idea of it being flexible to cope with every eventuality. I've rang Endicotts although they are out of stock of both types :(

I'd expect that a second hand Karrimor Sabre or Predator might sell second hand for the figure you have in mind, if you pick up the rocket pouches in the same sale or later you'll have a more carrying options for different kinds of trips.

OD, or there are a few in desert tan kicking around.

I haven't read much on either of these yet so that's todays task :)

I'm tempted to just buy a bog standard DPM Bergen & dye it black. They seem very cheap for the amount of space you get. Are they any good?

Thank you for all your help so far :D

R3XXY

Settler
Jul 24, 2009
Crewe
+1 for second hand Berghaus Vulcan. Worth waiting for one to show up, PLCE bergens tend to be uncomfortable as the belt on them is not designed as a hip belt but to sit on top of webbing pouches, and the shoulder straps are rock hard and a liitle narrow for my liking.
Second hand Lowe Alpine Stings are fairly common on ebay, albeit in DPM. They're not quite as big as the Vulcan or PLCE but still very roomy, very comfortable, well made and good value.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Depends on the person ive had a vulcan from endicotts found the shoulder straps uncomfortable,had a brand new sabre 80 /130 hated it give it my brother , also had plce long back found it the most comfy of the three, though thats gone as well now, as ive gone down the lighter weight kit route, id try and look/try on each one or at least a couple as its defo a personnel prefferance in how they feel on.

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
I've got a Highlander Forces 88 in olive only used for a couple of weekends as I found it encouraged me to pack too much stuff and then I couldn't carry it ! £50 delivered by paypal if interested. I'll probably pop it up on classifieds any way later.

Cheers, Paul

Last edited:

Modchop

Oct 17, 2013
Shropshire
Hi mate

I've got an issue bergen I could be tempted to move on, it's in OG complete with side pockets and yoke in very good condition. I work in the West Mids so could meet/deliver depending on location.

Cheers

Sep 30, 2014
West Midlands
Sorry for the late reply. Hectic couple of weeks.

I think I'm going to get the Highlander 88 (99 seems like a mythical beast). I like the fact it's adjustable and I don't think I have heard a bad word about them. Can't wait to get my hands on one now so I can attempt my first winter camp.

Thank you for all your recommendations.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE