In praise of the disposable lighter....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
I would consider myself pretty much an expert at using a traditional flint and steel. I'm pretty good at modern ferrocium and also at using a fire piston. I'm not brilliant, but in a pinch I'm convinced I'd get a fire eventually with a bow drill because I've done it before (with great difficulty) and I'm convinced I could do it again if I had to.

After learning all these more primitive methods I've come to a conclusion: the humble disposable lighter is a remarkable invention. It lights first time, every time. It works when it is wet. It weighs next to nothing. It is tough, produces a nice hot flame, and lets you know when it is running out of gas. All this and it can be picked up in any corner shop for less than 80p.

When you consider how much heartache and suffering has been faced, how many cold, wet and miserable deaths have been endured for want of a fire during the course of human history... well, you'd think we'd be more appreciative of just how good we have it.

Of course it is not as much fun, or as enlightening to use - but for sheer efficiency and bang for the buck, I don't think the disposable lighter can be beat.

I'm sure 99.99% of all the people who ever lived would have given almost anything to possess what we now consider a throwaway item......

DSCF6466.jpg

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Tis true, so is the fact, they fail, break, can explode, are dangerous when lighting a meths stove. I'd say the humble match still outstrips them. Folk just don't like the little extra effort of caring for and striking a match these days.
On a bimble on Sunday....I made a match using birch, lit it via another piece of birch from my small Ferro rod, and in turn lit my pipe. Very satisfying :thumbup:

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Striking a match one handed isn't easy. Lighting a taper like you describe would make a meths stove safer and could be done with a lighter!

Bought 6 of them for 99p yesterday

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
But then your not using just a lighter

And you can't cup/shield the flame one handed like a match ;)

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
yep they are everywhere because they are better, I often wonder what would be the thing Neolithic man would most covet in our modern kit and I reckon a lighter would be up there along with electric light of some form and a hard point saw.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
yep they are everywhere because they are better, I often wonder what would be the thing Neolithic man would most covet in our modern kit and I reckon a lighter would be up there along with electric light of some form and a hard point saw.

And a hunting rifle.

But, back on topic, Wook is right to praise the humble lighter. When I'm working with school groups doing fire lighting I start with my Zippo and then go back in time to bashing iron pyrite with flint. The same basic methods separated by a couple of hundred thousand years. Stig of the Dump got it right.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I always carry a disposable, but also matches, it is my impression and perhaps and inaccurate one that a match flame burns at a higher temperature than the gas from the lighter, perhaps someone who knows their science can refute or confirm that.

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
Tis true, so is the fact, they fail, break, can explode, are dangerous when lighting a meths stove. I'd say the humble match still outstrips them. Folk just don't like the little extra effort of caring for and striking a match these days.
On a bimble on Sunday....I made a match using birch, lit it via another piece of birch from my small Ferro rod, and in turn lit my pipe. Very satisfying :thumbup:

All true, but considering what you're getting against the price you are paying is amazing that such a device can be bought cheaply by pretty much anyone. Especially when weighed against just how difficult making a flame can be using some traditional methods compared with the basically instant flame from the lighter. To someone whose only method of creating fire was a hand drill, I'm sure my 78p Ronson would have seemed like magic.

The lighter wins out over matches to me, because the lighter will still work if dropped in a river whereas the matches will not.

As to lighting meths stoves with lighters, I've found a good trick is to deliberately "spill" just a wee bit of meths around the outside rim of the burner. This is much easier to light with a lighter and will ignite the main burner. Alternatively dip a twig in the meths and use it as a taper.

Last edited:
i seem to recall an episode of mr mears where the access to matches had resulted in the tribe he was visiting had forgotten the traditional method(s) of lighting a fire and it was a long trip to their local shops

not that i am knocking the humble bic but its always nice to know different ways to light a fire.
i remember in scouts we only had short safety matches to light some very scary old leaky gas stoves and water boilers, many a teenagers proud bum fluff beard was lost to them :)

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
i seem to recall an episode of mr mears where the access to matches had resulted in the tribe he was visiting had forgotten the traditional method(s) of lighting a fire and it was a long trip to their local shops

not that i am knocking the humble bic but its always nice to know different ways to light a fire.
i remember in scouts we only had short safety matches to light some very scary old leaky gas stoves and water boilers, many a teenagers proud bum fluff beard was lost to them :)

I remember that episode; he re-introduced the bow drill (I think) to them. The expression on the face of the native guy as he blew the ember to flame was one of the best pieces of TV I've seen.

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland

Indeed. Although the reason the matches and lighter had displaced the traditional methods is because they are several orders of magnitude easier and quicker.

However, they cannot be easily made from the immediate environment which is their big failing. The same could be true for most methods of firelighting with the exception of fire by friction methods. But even this usually requires you to pre-dry the wood and/or carry some cordage to use as a bow string.

I do hold that a man should know several different ways of making fire, and this is one of the reasons I hang around here. I love learning new ways to make fire. But when I sat down and thought about what the pocket lighter actually represents, it astonished me.

One thing that had a big impact on me is that final scene in Castaway where he plays with the lighter after he gets back to civilisation - obviously recalling the blood, sweat and tears it took to make fire without one.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Its easier to source a Bic than a piece of flint or for that matter wood suitable for friction lighting. When I was sucking on two packs of smokes a day, Zippo was king, a part of the lighting up ritual enjoyed so much by smokers.

I would think three or four at most, Bics could easily last you a year of fire lighting.

I am a big fan of the disposible lighters, but i only use them when in a pinch, very short on time, very wet or very cold. all other times i try to use more traditional methods of lighting a fire, such as bow drills, ferro rods, flint and iron. I do prefer a zippo to a disposible lighter as they can be refilled with almost any flamable liquid, and you can teach yourself zippo tricks when really bored waiting for things.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I'm trying to work out how long one lighter would last when I was smoking and off the Zippo, 30+ smokes a day maybe three weeks? Four? So around 800 to 1000 lights? Be generous and say you burn four times longer lighting dry tinder than a Marlboro, one Bic could give you perhaps an easy 200 fires; lets be pessimistic and say 100 fires which makes it a fantastic tool.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE