In Praise of cheap wind shields

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Having tried various wind shields for stoves I have finally settled on the following folding aluminium jobs. They started off as one camping gaz stove sized affair which cost about a fiver from a cheapo camping shop. After removing the rods (they conveniantly fell out) the plates where easily cut with a Stanley knife (I burnished the raw edge smooth as a safety measure) and the rods with a hacksaw. I cut the later slightly short so I could crimp the ends of the tubes they fit through to stop them falling out.

One I made to go with a clickstand

click.jpg

which left another just the right size for my Nova

nova.jpg

They pack up very small, are light and can be pushed into the ground when needed. They also fit around mess tins much better than most screens designed for round pots.

A sad part of me wishes they were titanium...

;-{D)

ATB

Tom

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
A sad part of me wishes they were titanium...

You know, I caught myself thinking the very same thing about my pocket cooker... ;)

Nice windshields - they certainly look a bit more durable than the bit of heavy foil I'm using.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Hi, the mess tin is the infamous BCB Crusader one and the Sporks a Brunton one (US version of Silva I think). A mate is paying me for research info' in titanium sporks (don't ask), and that ones quite handy as it fits anywhere.

ATB

Tom

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Interesting spork, and I really like the mess tins. That is the best picture I've seen of them yet. Do they fit onto the mug in some way? Can you put the mess tin on the mug for example, as a steamer, or use the lid stright on the mug?

If so, they could be a good investment for a lightweight set up for a day trip.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
The mess tin doesn't seem to fit the mug in anyway, I think the names just branding, the metal isn't even the same gauge.

The two wind shields shown were made from a single one long enough to use with a gas burner fitted to the top of the gas canister type stove so are both two short for that type. When folded they fit inside the mess tin shown or the larger pans I usually use with the Nova.

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
The handles steel wire (not sure how springy Ti is so that may have been a consideration).

Unfortunately our scales are more suitable for sacks of potatoes than lightweight kit (which put the mockers on some fuel effeciency measurements I wanted to do) but I'm told backpackinglightUk now sell the spork and they are bound to do the grams. They also do a very similar wind shield (full size) for £5.99.

Tch, never a drug dealer around when you need one!

ATB

Tom

cyclist

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 9, 2006
holstein
well, I´d say it all depends - maybe those potatoe bags are lightweight and filled with lightweight (dehydrated) potatoes :D

5.99 how much is that in $? Seems to be at not so very low budget .....
I guess a roll of standard household aluminum foil is a little less and makes some more (one roll being a group-buy) lightweight windshields (foil 3 to 5 layers with some insulating air in between :cool: )

The Snowpeak ti spork is 16g - without a folding handle

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Five quid isn't so bad as to be honest compared to the US we get screwed for outdoors gear. Often we are paying in pounds what your paying in dollars so its often worthwhile to source anything light weight from across the pond :( One bought one does make 2 shields in use so in this case I don't feel too burned.

I've tried foil but found it blew away too often, although my lumbering after it/ into trees/streams/nettles in persuit is always a crowd pleaser. :)

The joy of these suckers is they will dig into anything but rock hard ground and they will last meny, meny trips.

I've the Snowpeak spork myself, a excellent bit of kit although I've since found sporks with more efficient tines for EDC and which are much better for spiking chips, saddly this is a major selling point with me!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE