Impulse purchase - Hurricane lamp

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Camel

Forager
Nov 5, 2012
London
Bit of an impulse purchase, one I blame joining BCUK for by the way, on the way home from lunch today; a paraffin storm lantern.

It's the kind with a wick and little adjustment rod for raising and lowering it.

I've had a google and trimmed the wick to a point as apparently this gives the best light. I must say that the light it gives out is quite weedy, about the same as a candle.

Does anyone use these for anything apart from decoration and garden ornamentation?

I was thinking of possible uses being warming up tents on the hill and general low level lighting around the camp?

I am a member of a syndicate up in Scotland that has a caravan in the middle of the forestry, I'm thinking that instead of battery powered lanterns something like this would provide light and a bit of heat.

I bought an obviously cheap pressed tin one from a DIY shop that's about 12" tall and not made for much rough use by the look of it, is there some decent brand or other I should look around for? I vague remember that boats used to use them for lighting until not that long ago, was there some famous maritime brand that I could keep an eye out on ebay for?

With thanks,

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
This sort of lantern?

2429hurricane_lamp.jpg

Should be giving off more light than a candle, is the wick freely moving when you turn the control knob?

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
To be honest I've got Feuerhand lanterns and Dietz lanterns and the build quality is not a lot better than the £5 ebay jobs these days :( Quick coat of Plasti Koat or heat resistant paint to any of them improves their life spans a heck of a lot. Also look out for old Chalwyn brand, English made in their day and the old ones had good heavy duty glass in them.

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Remember you should judge their light with a dark adapted eye.

Hurricane lamps provide plenty of light for use around camp and they don't wreck your night vision as much as those infernal pressure lamps that numpties insist on walking up to the camp fire with.

We use a Tilley lamp around the house when the electric goes off, but not out at camp. I grew up with them, the gentle hiss brings back memories of childhood winter nights :):rolleyes:

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Fair enough in a house where you might want to read or do some delicate work.

I'd even say they had a place in a field hospital where someone might actually be doing a bit of surgery, but out in the woods they are a pain in the backside for everyone but the person carrying the darn thing.

Elen Sentier

I agree, Wayland. Drives me nuts when folk shine even their head torches at me and say (proudly & kindly), "There! Now you can see!". :aargh4: I assure you, prison works! They're only alive beause I can't have cats nor publish books in prison

I do read, and write, in my tent with the head torch :)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I agree about the new powerful torches but the gentle hiss and beautiful light from a Vapalux/Tilley lantern is part of my camping experience gained over the years and the 1Kw given off is a bonus. Strangely nobody objects when I light up one or two, usually the extra light is most welcome by fellow campers/bushcrafters. Hurricane lanterns are really nice too, we usually dot a couple around the parayurt shelter, I hang one in my tipi to take the chill of the air a little and save faffing about with torches when going to bed.

"numpties insist on walking up to the camp fire with"
not as bad as experienced numpties who really pee me of chopping bloody wood at 07:00 with absolutely no regard for those resting.

Don't suppose you'd like these then Wayland lol

140.jpg

Or

no5heater.jpg

Ummmmm, toasty warm :)

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
I think if i was out in the wilds then id probably not want a pressure lantern but at meets where night vision is not really a primary concern ive enjoyed one hanging nearby.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Those little hurricane lamps really benefit from having the glass de-sooted regularly. Even if it looks clean, if it's been used, there'll be a miasma of oily black inside. Wipe it off and let the light shine through :)

I like the big pressure lamps, but there's a time and place for them. If folks are just chilling out around the fire, there's no need for them, but if there's work being done, they are brilliant :D
They're also very warming inside a big canvas tent :D

In Winter there's eight hours of decentish daylight, that's a long time dark. Good light is very welcome then.

If you intend to use the lantern inside a caravan, Camel, be very careful, it will need really good ventilation, and the open flame will soot up the corners and inside spaces of the van too.

cheers,
Toddy

Camel

Forager
Nov 5, 2012
London
This sort of lantern?

2429hurricane_lamp.jpg

Should be giving off more light than a candle, is the wick freely moving when you turn the control knob?

It looks very much like that one except that it has holes running around the bottom plate of the glass globe holder.

The wick moves freely but the flame quivers and smokes if you adjust it over about 1/2- 3/4" high.

I'm going to do an experiment with a tea light and dark adapted vision just to check my first impression.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
If you intend to use the lantern inside a caravan, Camel, be very careful, it will need really good ventilation, and the open flame will soot up the corners and inside spaces of the van too.

cheers,
Toddy

That was the advice I was hoping to see right from reading the thread title - anything that burns will consume oxygen and leave an un-ventilated tent short of it for your use!

ATB

Ogri the trog

Camel

Forager
Nov 5, 2012
London
Feurhand is the brand of Hurricane Lamp to look out for They are German and can be picked up with some rust for a fraction of the price of a new one
I paid £2 for mine at a flea market in Totnes.The one you have is probably a cheap copy of the syle
As Rick said they are far brighter than a candle.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=feuerhand

To be honest I've got Feuerhand lanterns and Dietz lanterns and the build quality is not a lot better than the £5 ebay jobs these days :( Quick coat of Plasti Koat or heat resistant paint to any of them improves their life spans a heck of a lot. Also look out for old Chalwyn brand, English made in their day and the old ones had good heavy duty glass in them.

Thank you for the heads up, I'll keep an eye out for them.

I like the old things, remind me of some clichéd idyll or other. :)

Camel

Forager
Nov 5, 2012
London
Those little hurricane lamps really benefit from having the glass de-sooted regularly. Even if it looks clean, if it's been used, there'll be a miasma of oily black inside. Wipe it off and let the light shine through :)

I like the big pressure lamps, but there's a time and place for them. If folks are just chilling out around the fire, there's no need for them, but if there's work being done, they are brilliant :D
They're also very warming inside a big canvas tent :D

In Winter there's eight hours of decentish daylight, that's a long time dark. Good light is very welcome then.

cheers,
Toddy

Thanks for the tips Toddy, I suppose gas is the way forward for use in a caravan... :(

I think I just have a bit of a fetish for them, will definitely make sure there's enough ventilation if I try it in the caravan.

Soot in the van would probably not make me very popular though... :D

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Nothing wrong with paraffin/petrol/gas lamps anywhere so long as you use common sense and ventilation.

What are you using in the lamp, paraffin?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've said it before, but regardless of how ungreen it might be; the smell of warm paraffin stoves and lanterns just smells of domestic comfort to me :) Those old heaters and such like were commonplace in my childhood, but homes were more than adequately ventilated back then. Open fires needed chimneys and airflows, double glazing was for aircraft and central heating meant that the chimney breast opened up into grills in the upstairs rooms to let heat out there too :)

Tbh, if all you want is light in the caravan, you'd be hard pressed to beat the modern LED lanterns. Those are simply wonderful :)

cheers,
Toddy

Camel

Forager
Nov 5, 2012
London
I've said it before, but regardless of how ungreen it might be; the smell of warm paraffin stoves and lanterns just smells of domestic comfort to me :) Those old heaters and such like were commonplace in my childhood, but homes were more than adequately ventilated back then. Open fires needed chimneys and airflows, double glazing was for aircraft and central heating meant that the chimney breast opened up into grills in the upstairs rooms to let heat out there too :)

Tbh, if all you want is light in the caravan, you'd be hard pressed to beat the modern LED lanterns. Those are simply wonderful :)

cheers,
Toddy

Light but a bit of warmth too if at possible, it can get rather cold in the winter months in that thing...

I'm the same about the smell, it's somehow more comforting than electric or gas light and heat.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE