Improvised Game chow Mein

So this weekend Swompy and myself were mad enough to go camping.
originally we had planned to have a nice game stew to keep us nice and warm.
slight tragedy in that someone (swompy) forgot the veg ingredients. So we improvised and used two packs of super noodles to bulk out the meat.
ingredients were
mixed pack of game (phesent, partridge and venison)
chorizo
two packs super noodles
one pack pot noodle tomato and herb flavour soup
A very generous slug of port.

First we fried the mixed game in a combination of bacon and sausage fat with some chorizo
then deglazed the pan and stewed the game in the port.
meanwhile we boiled the two packs of super noodles and added the pot noodle soup.
then stirred the whole lot together and ate it

absolutely marvellous
thought some of you would appreciate the recipe

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
nom nom, sounds good,....well done Sam

a one pot impovised meal is one of my favourite memories of being out.

i have a little bag of tricks in my day sack, salt,pepper, the usual staples and a packet of super noodles!,...they go with owt ,...hahhaa

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
I have this theory that drunken cooking and bushcraft cooking should be some sort of ultimate survival course.
i mean people come up with the weirdest things when drunk, likewise necessity does the same when out in the bush.
i propose a 4am hammered off your face bushcraft cook off!! lol imagine the recipies!

must admit tho despite the supernoodles that does sound good ;)

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Lidl do some mini salamis which go very well with noodles if cut up very thin, along with a finely chopped half-onion.
Also carefully scrunch all the noodles before opening the pack, so that they're like pasta 100s & 1000s - they cook quicker (greater surface area) & are easier to eat (no stringy, dangly bits).

i'm game for the drunken bushcraft cook up
my best drunken recipe is bacon and egg banjo with wholegrain mustard and chilli mango chutney

was definately a good meal and kept us warm in minus fifteen temps!
got to admit i am not keen on supernoodles per se but as a back up ingredient i think they are a winner

Last edited:

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
i tried a red dwarf one morning, triple fried egg chilli chutney sandwich.
sadly i was out of chutney so we used chilli ketchup then chilli powder in-between each egg.
never eaten so much protein in my life...

wth is bacon and egg banjo btw? for a minute i thought you meant the musical instrument!
i'm the same about supernoodles. however i find that standard egg noodles are easily cooked in boiling water and just as tasty.
even more so if you let them drain and cool for 10 mins, heat some oil in a pan and do batches to get em crispy!

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Ah muffins yeah no worries.
muffins are always the oven bottom type, barmcakes are just plain soft buns, cobs are the deliciously crispy ones and teacakes have currents in.
at least from what i've been taught, i believe theres more regional variation then there is accents on these items in the UK :D
bin lids (stotties) is another.
hmmm i wonder if you could get an oven bottom muffin effect in a billy can?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE