Improving Kit

beenn

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
South Wales
I have most of the bushcraft/camping kit i need but im trying to make my kit better and get the best things when i get abit of spare money

I have a tarp
sleeping bag
roll mat
58 mug but need a new bottle
cook set
homemade billy can- might buy a zebra billy can
Mora knife
Folding saw- may upgrade to a laplander in the future but its good for now
Hexi stove
Hobo stove
firelighting kit
fire steel
silva compass
signal mirror
duck tape
whistle
cordage- may get paracord
survival blankets
snare wire- may order some pre-made
trowel
10ltr water carrier- want a 4 ltr platypus
SS Nalgene
Leather welding glove- want a normal pair of leather gloves
cheap drinks bottle
9 led torch
swiss army knife
first aid kit
another fire kit
cook set
inflatable pillow
another hobo stove
coffee kit
SS kfs
pot gripper
Work gloves
I plan to make a hobo fishing reel on a lathe sometime soon

Anything i can add to my gear which is good or better let me know,
cheers- Ben :)

beenn

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
South Wales
In The wishlist so far is:
bivvy bag
laplander saw
zebra billy can
paracord
platypus
58 pattern bottle
leatgher gloves
sharpening stone
small hatchet
millbank bag

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I would never go anywhere without a head torch. I have some cheap ones, but I keep hanging my nose over some of the more expensive ones. :)
Just can't seem to decide which one to buy. :(

Did you mean to put "cook set" in there twice?

Welder's gloves are probably too bulky for camping use but if weight and bulk weren't an issue I'd have a pair in there. My cooking kit has some good lightweight leather gloves from the local car parts shop, you shouldn't need to pay more than a quid for a reasonable pair. Also in my cooking kit goes a small contact lens solution bottle (I collect heaps of them when my wife throws them out) containing washing up liquid, another with soap, yet another with toothpaste, and a toothbrush.

My ablutions kit also has soap, plus wet wipes, tissue, polythene gloves, and a few freezer bags.

beenn

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
South Wales
i have a cheap headtorch but it had a switch which said do not turn and i turned it...:p

i was listing the kit as it came out the boxes, i have a small cook set and a large.

Before i camp i get soap ect but on day hikes i clean the kit when i come home, but if i see some bottles ill get them as i carry a scourer and tea towel inside the cook kit:)

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
... i heared its good for quick temporary repairs:)

It is. :) But the emphasis is on temporary. It doesn't hold too well in the wet, so outdoor use is fairly limited, but I always like to have a roll or two handy in a tool box or a vehicle. If I were trimming my kit down for backpacking, the cordage would definitely stay in the pack but a full roll of tape might not -- I'd probably wrap some around something else, say a film can, but I might just leave it out. I could always use the micropore instead. Improvisation is the important thing. There ought to be courses. :)

beenn

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
South Wales
For the water filter i have a millbank bag and then boil the water:)
and the thermos sounds good..
but why the goggles? :p

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
If you have any plastic or wooden cookinggear, get rid of it!
It is very hard to properly clean it on a moredaystrip. I found this out myself and also that aluminium or staimless steel are much easier to maintain/clean in the field.

beenn

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
South Wales
My knife, for spoon set is stainless steel, my billy is stainless and cook set is stainless or aluminium- not sure. Stainless steel crusader cup, I have plastic water bottles but thats ok i think :)

almac

Forager
Oct 13, 2010
Okanagan, BC CANADA
I have most of the bushcraft/camping kit i need but im trying to make my kit better and get the best things when i get abit of spare money

I have a tarp
sleeping bag
roll mat
58 mug but need a new bottle
cook set
homemade billy can- might buy a zebra billy can
Mora knife
Folding saw- may upgrade to a laplander in the future but its good for now
Hexi stove
Hobo stove
firelighting kit
fire steel
silva compass
signal mirror
duck tape
whistle
cordage- may get paracord
survival blankets
snare wire- may order some pre-made
trowel
10ltr water carrier- want a 4 ltr platypus
SS Nalgene
Leather welding glove- want a normal pair of leather gloves
cheap drinks bottle
9 led torch
swiss army knife
first aid kit
another fire kit
cook set
inflatable pillow
another hobo stove
coffee kit
SS kfs
pot gripper
Work gloves
I plan to make a hobo fishing reel on a lathe sometime soon

Anything i can add to my gear which is good or better let me know,
cheers- Ben :)

looks like you have all your bases covered...
if it was me, i'd decide on ONE stove, and upgrade tools first. start with the cheaper things, like the woodsaw first. the laplanders are great.
i would really like to see what you have planned for the hobo fishing kit. ;)
something else you might consider is ho you carry your kit.
after years of 'adventuring' i got rid of a lot of stuff and just concentrated on the basics. i don't really call myself a lightweight camper, but i carry a lot less items when i go out now, than i did in the past. and all my gear now is pretty much quality items, like a cammenga compass, the laplander, and leatherman to name a few items.
now that i'm a new leatherworker, im concentrating more on tool carry options, like possibles pouches, etc. ;)

what you really have to decide is "will any new kit make my adventuring any more pleasurable?". if not, then save your hard earned money, and use it on something else. ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE