Improved Glamoing rather than Bushcraft

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Blimey. You dont have to talk to em you know.

Beer feuled chavs who play their radios all day and swear and guffaw loudly all night are my pet hate. There always tends to be a woman with a laugh like a pychotic horse that shrilly pierces the peace and quiet. Plus the obligatory public row when things start getting honest as the beer tips the scales.

Never had that on a club site. Had it on a couple of cool camping sites.

The worst was a site in a steep sided valley selling chinese lanterns on a packed bank holiday. I had to bat one away from someones tent. The site manager didnt care. Couldv'e been very nasty.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I suppose it comes down to choice, I've always been lucky with cool camping - but do pick some of their more out of the way esoteric spots. (There's even an adults only campsite up here so no screaming kids). But some sites have become populated by nutters I agree, usually one's within an hours drive of major conurbations.

What does get me on Caravan Club sites is that Ramblers Association (the countryside is purely for our members), Hyacinth Bucket "Tut-tut" disapproval of small minded little offended from Tunbridge Wells types. But maybe I've just been unlucky.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
What puts me off C&C club sites are caravaners. OK I have just bought a caravan, that is going to get painted a tasty shade of nato drab, but henry and maud in the pitch next door going on and on about every friggen C&C club they have been to in the last 52 years of their blissful cheesy nibbled marrage. With missy the rat of a yappy dog you want to BBQ if it barks one more time. I would prefer the conversation you get from the biker gang the non club site let in, hey I dont even mind sleeping with the festival feeling of "bom bom bomm" vibrating from a sound system a 11pm that has turned up. I am not too happy at paying 20 quid a night for it though but it beats henry and maud

Here by now saying why most people on here prefer to stay in a wood or field digging hole and washing in a stream on thier own paying little or nothing for peace.

Works both ways though, it could well be that Henry and Maud will not be too happy with a caravan that looks like something from an army surplus sale pitching next to their 'pride and joy'.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Works both ways though, it could well be that Henry and Maud will not be too happy with a caravan that looks like something from an army surplus sale pitching next to their 'pride and joy'.

I can hear them tutting from here :lmao: . Campsites can be a bit of a dice roll, even good ones get nut jobs on them from time to time, and unless the warden is prepared to stand up and chuck them off (can be slightly perturbing on yer todd at midnight against a group of ****** off blokes) then everyones night/stay can be ruined. But then so can bunkhouses, hotels and even where you live if they're not to your liking.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
My top tip for Bank holiday camping is to always go somewhere with marked pitches. There's nowt worse than a free for all tent field and a greedy owner trying to cram in as many as possible. My pet hates are people walking across your pitch for a shortcut, and folks who like to share there music - really makes me tut tut.

ringonotts

Dec 23, 2011
Basingstoke
I noticed the tut tutting stopped about 5 years ago. I don't know if this was in relation to me getting older and hence "less risk" or the realisation that if they don't stop being snotty gets then this recession really is going to bite their business.

As a camper van owner I don't do glamping but I have colleagues that are willing to pay stupid amounts a night to pitch their massive tents on. I do think there is a market for it if the geography is right.

Ringo

franglais

Tenderfoot
Jun 4, 2013
France
Certain sites attract people you wouldn't want to sleep next to, these are usually larger where there is no intimacy, we are in the Cool Camping Guide and have been very lucky with our guests, I think this is due to the fact we only have five spaces and we only allow a maximum of twenty, and only ten of them will be adults, the fact that everyone gets to know one another prevents any bad behaviour, in fact most of the families are in bed by 10pm, some of the adults may sit around the campfires drinking wine, but they are well away from the tipis so their chatter is no problem, never had anyone play music in the woods apart from an acoustic guitar now and then during the day. I honestly can't understand the mentality of people who's only interest in camping is sitting in a field getting ****** and annoying everyone, maybe someone should write a guide to chav/numpty campsites so people who actually want to enjoy the countryside can avoid them.
At the end of the day a campsite is like any other business you can go the stack em high and sell em cheap route, or you can go exclusive and charge more, that's why so many campsites are going the glamping route, for us it's all about enjoying what we do, to get the same amount of income from a bring your own tent site we would need around fifty spaces, which would mean more noise, traffic and mess, and less chance to chat provide a service to guests, do midnight walks with the kids and make bows etc, from our point of view it's a no brainer, still lot's of work often 7am untill midnight during the school holidays.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE