improv tent-pole

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robby

Nomad
Jul 22, 2005
Glasgow, Southside
I got a DD tarp and hammonck set up earlier this year, which I'm really pleased with,

tarpsetup.jpg

but I wanted to extend its usefulness. i wanted to be able to also use it as a ground based bivi shelter but without adding too much bulk. I found what's being sold as a landing net handle in the local £ shop.

tarp.jpg

Alu, light and extends from 22'' to 40''. and is ideal as it fits in the bag that hold everything else.

tarpkit.jpg

tarpkitpacked.jpg

I reckon i'll be going back to pick-up another couple.

Robby

Nomad
Jul 22, 2005
Glasgow, Southside
£1, and it's sold as a landing net handle. You can buy the net seperately and it fits into a screw thread insert in the top end of the pole/handle. well worth £1 I reckon.

Robby

Nomad
Jul 22, 2005
Glasgow, Southside
I do have a walking pole as well but I wanted something smaller and lighter. Something that could be packed along with the rest of the kit. I also was looking for a way to give me the greatest flexibility. I've bought another 3 of the poles. That now means that I can create a number of different pitches. one of the options I was considering is to have 2 of the poles at full extention and another 2 part extended, to give cover but maximise usable space under the tarp. while still giving a reasonable slope to help shed water. All Ideas for now, but I'll be experimenting over the next while.

Robby

Nomad
Jul 22, 2005
Glasgow, Southside
from a £1 shop???
that seems a little too cheep.:eek:

Forgot to add. this is why I only bought 1 to start with. After messing about with it, it wll hold most of my weight without the locking mechanism (a simple screw down friction afair) slipping. They're Octagonal in cross section and they are also strong and resist flex as well.

Robby

Nomad
Jul 22, 2005
Glasgow, Southside
I saw these in my local £ shop too, so really happy for the mini review.
Out of interest Robby, how are you attaching the tarp loop to the top of the pole?

The white cord is what is attached to the ridge line using a prussik type knot in the first picture. It's tied to the tarp-loop and then I just used a clove hitch around the top of the Pole. I'm considering adding a narrow blunt tip (probably try a 4'' nail with an epoxy bead waist in the middle so that it can be removed) to the pole so that I can tie in a permanent small loop and just loop over the tip with the cord supported by the wider pole end.

Dec 16, 2007
I used to carry on the 58 bum roll back in my old arm days 2 trip flare posts. these worked great with the 58 poncho but now everyone uses basha poles. In the end if your poles break, get lost or left at home you can all ways use sticks. they are free.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE