Impressive bird attack!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Now I've seen buzzards mobbed by crows and rooks, I've seen owls given a good seeing off by songbirds.

This was startling to watch though - a buzzard seen off by house martins (at least I think they were house martins - could have been swifts I suppose). I know the principle of a mobbing is buffeting with air from the wings, but its nonetheless a pretty tough act from so small a bird :eek: . There must have been about 8 or so of them diving in turn

1373582421_eb61bc4a93_o.jpg

(s0rry for the slight blur - they were moving fairly fast)

Red

Hawkeye The Noo

Forager
Aug 16, 2005
Dunoon, Argyll
At least you had your camera handy. Unique content even if a bit blurry, you should be proud of that shot. A few weeks ago I saw a tag team of hooded crow and herring gull seeing off a grey heron. It was most unusual as usually the crows and gulls are having a go at each other.

Nice one.

Jamie

May 13, 2007
NORTHANTS
Yes another great shot, and yes they are House Martins, the white rump on the bird on the left is the I.D. clincher. The main predator of these would be a Hobby I would think, another summer visiter,but they would certainly view anything with a hooked bill and talons as unfriendly! Never been lucky enough to witness "mobbing" though, let alone get a photo of it.superb.:notworthy

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
It was a really interesting thing to see - I'm glad its not just me that finds such things interesting - this is a slightly different shot but shows the cloud of mobbing birds a bit better

1374981971_7b86d95e28_o.jpg

Red

Craig B

Sep 13, 2007
Nice one!

In April this year I watched 3 sea eagles mobbing a golden eagle in Mull.

One of my best ever wildlife spectacles.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I regularly witness Red Kites having the poo knocked out of them (literally once!) by the local rooks around our place.Never seen anything quite like yours though! It's a bit sad because the kite's never offer any resistance and just tumble away( usually like stones) then head off in the opposite direction. I still cant catch anything like those shots but I'm working on it!
Kind regards
R.B.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE