Impressed with tree surgeons :D

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The trees just outside our gable wall fence were a good four or five metres above the ridge of the house roof….and the trees were maybe 6metres from the wall. They were also covered in ivy and it was acting like a giant sail. They really did need to mostly come down.

We've had a couple of tree surgeons working on them this morning, and I am incredibly impressed. One was up the trees like a rock climber, neat and nimble and never put a foot or hand wrong. Roped, cut and dropped bits of timber exactly where he intended them to go :notworthy: while his colleague cleared, sliced, tidied and kept everything on the ground sorted.

The amount of light that has flooded into the garden and house is amazing :) Really pleased, and they left things trim and wildlife friendly too.

It's been a good day :D

cheers,
Toddy

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Definitely good to hear when folk do things well - about five miles from me we've had County Council contractors butcher either side of a really nice bit of road, about a half mile long, which did need trimming back a little but what these have done will look scarred for a couple of seasons :(

In a place not far from there at the site of a contentious planning application "somebody" has netted a couple of hedges to stop the birds nesting so there'll be no record of nesting birds when a forthcoming wildlife survey is carried out......Outrageous in the extreme!!! But many have been in touch with various people like Gwent Wildlife to see what can be done about it as it must surely be right on the very edge of legality.........

But again, good that some folk get it right :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
What total cretin would net a hedge to stop birds ?? :sigh:

The lads made a really neat job of things, and they left the willow, ash and silver birch high enough that the birds and squirrels can still get out of the way of the neighbour's cat and the foxes. They also left logs ready for folks to take away if they want them for firewood and the rest into brash piles and such like that will provide wildlife with space and variety. One of the local Countryside Rangers came by while they were working and stopped to talk with me; she was very pleased with what they were doing too :) It looks as though after years of feeling as though I've been hitting a blank wall that the burn and it's immediate environs might get the protection and improvements that are needed to help keep and enhance the wild flora and fauna :D
We have watervoles and newts in the burn and everything from deer to badgers, woodpeckers to hawks, wrens and weasels, all along a stretch of mostly forgotten path, burn and wild meadow that's only a few hundred metres long.
It connects up with other paths and patches of woodlands though, and it all interconnects down to the river eventually.

This thread has photos of the place nearly five years ago. It had become very dark in the last two. I'm hoping that now the top hamper has been cleared that the smaller trees will bush and thrive.

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57397

M

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Looks like a lovely tranquil spot, and it's great that somebody has listened to you and started to give it some TLC :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Glad to hear it went well Mary. Myself, and several others here, have helped drag the industry into the 20th century. It's been a slog getting people to wear hard hats, chainsaw trousers, and work with a large degree of professionalism and safety, yet there are still a few out there who knock the industry back 30 years.

http://press.hse.gov.uk/2014/essex-tree-surgeon-in-court-after-chainsaw-fall-onto-worker/

They were very competent; both were virtually dayglo with orange, wore the right kinds of kit, helmets, faceguards, boots, ear muff things, etc., used the tether ropes, used the control lines and so on.

The whole impression left was that they were very capable indeed :D and I have names and contact details and will happily pass them along to neighbours too :cool:

M

p.s. Just fully read the link, and that's shocking. Truly bad practice and no wonder someone was seriously injured. Not surprised that it must infuriate an industry trying to improve H & S for everyone.

M

Last edited:

nic a char

Settler
Dec 23, 2014
scotland
try your local Rangers, Wardens, etc for people with Tree Surgeon's Tickets - our best quote was £300 until a Ranger with ticket did it for £50 - ONLY to clear bus-height on bus route road - SO MUCH "surgery" is unnecessary/ugly/overdone

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Good to know Riggers, the writing on the back of their jackets said Tree Services in amongst the company details, it's my old fashioned frame of mind that called them tree surgeons.

I am very well pleased with the deal I made with them, they were very fair indeed for nearly four hours work.
My neighbours are delighted too, so I think there'll be more work for them too.

It's the amount of light, and it's been a sodden wet and overcast day, that was the biggest surprise. I am very fond of the leafy green back lane, but the trees were just too big and too near the houses.

Thank you for the link; I save these for future reference.

M

Disco1

Settler
Jan 31, 2015
UK
My mates a tree surgeon and a bushcrafter, tree surgeons are always good to know, I get some really lovely and odd woods from him for carving.

riggers

Forager
Jan 13, 2009
newmains scotland
I find a lot of arborists have a passion for trees and wood and they also know the correct ways to cut for the health of the tree there a lot of people jumping on the band wagon some are great and some are blooming shoddy I pride myself on word of mouth I will not be beat on price nor service.

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
nicely done.....i've met quite a few surgeons and several have been liabilities but a couple of my closest friends absolutely love it and, i think, because theyre also 'bushcrafters', that makes a difference....one being the well known craig from youtubes leaflifebushcraft and our own resident and newly fully qualified kal/ammo who passed his courses last week...well done kal!

e-z!

s

ether

Mar 20, 2011
Bournemouth, Dorset
Serial forum lurker here. In the midst of switching from a cushy office job to retrain to become an Arborist. Was having a serious wobble & questioning my decision but this has reminded why I was doing it. A love for the outdoors & to follow my passion, there's a difference between tree surgeon's & Arborist's which has been highlighted here. Thanks Toddy, I owe you one

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE