Unknown Tree

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Just been sitting outside, eating my lunch, and treated myself to a little bit of 'Name That Bird Song' and 'Name That Tree'.
I did alright for myself.
However.
There was one tree that has me stumped (as it were).
It had triangular shaped leaves and also what looked like hazelnuts around the base. But this isn't a hazel tree - too big.
There's every chance someone (or some squirrel) in the past may have sat beneath it and had a few hazels. But there were quite a few, and they were all around the tree rather than in a pile. So use the leaf as a better diagnostic.
I suspect it is a non-native species since it is located in a hospital ground with many other old, decorative, trees.
Love to know what it is...

51102687446_c0bb937578_c.jpg

51102762324_6fbf35da29_c.jpg

51102687606_0954315e40_c.jpg

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Definitely a ginko biloba. Unmistakable leaves. Only ones anything like it. You are right, that is the remains of a squirrels picnic!

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I think its often called a prehistoric tree, left over from the times of the dinosaurs. A living fossil.
Fascinating tree.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Nobody is forced to eat Sauerkraut, slugs, frogs or rotten sharks, to put reindeer into the coffee, or whatever the locals do.

Most tribes are a bit weird if you have a closer look. It isn't needed to travel too far to find the last sauvages. Usually they live right next door. In parts of Switzerland for example it's still allowed to eat dogs.

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
to put reindeer into the coffee
:DNext time you go to Lapland don't tell the people there that they are supposed to put reindeer into their coffee. They did put a lot of somewhat odd things in their coffee in the past but not reindeer. :D

Otherwise I agree, one is not obligated to eat everything the natives do. You forgot the most important thing from your list, Swedish "surströmming", that smell probably beats even rotten shark or at least it is a race.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I will look it up if I reach the book. I think they did it in Finnish Lapland in the twenties of the last century. Some kind of meat for sure. And what if not reindeer?
We can agree to remain silent about it but if it was done, people usually continue it, so pay attention when you are there!

Somewhere in Norway they tried to sell me sheep heads at the gaslonine station, like somewhere else croissants or sausages.

Surströmming I fortunately didn't yet notice but bought by accident blood pudding of course.
Sugared cheese is also such an adventure.

But I remember that a Swiss friend was already pretty shocked when he discovered that we put sugar onto the salad and into the lentils. It seems to be more a Silesian than generally German habit.

I am too used to Italian, French and German food to notice, what is weird there, but I remember that my Czech colleagues often didn't look very happy in French harbour restaurants...

;)

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
:DNext time you go to Lapland don't tell the people there that they are supposed to put reindeer into their coffee. They did put a lot of somewhat odd things in their coffee in the past but not reindeer. :D

Otherwise I agree, one is not obligated to eat everything the natives do. You forgot the most important thing from your list, Swedish "surströmming", that smell probably beats even rotten shark or at least it is a race.
I read a novel about the Guga tradition (The Blackhouse by Peter May) where 10 men set off for a fortnight to gather Gannet chicks from the cliffs of Sulasgeir. The chicks are piled up in heaps, salted,then return with the men to the mainland. A lot of things sound horrible to eat, but not to those that have grown up with them.

Guga, similar to Kiviak.

Bsco85

Apr 17, 2021
Oxfordshire
Not sure if this thread has drifted off but yes, it’s a Ginko. They grow quite happily over here and are really very old, they are prehistoric relics. The atomic bombing of Japan in WW2, it was found many survived unlike anything else, they are resistant to radiation thus survived the dino’s demise. I can’t say what the timber is like as haven’t felled one but know they hate being pruned.

Reactions: TeeDee

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE