import duties on knives from the US?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

phaserrifle

Nomad
Jun 16, 2008
South of England
in a few months time, I'm thinking of upgrading from my mora clipper, to something a little more substantial.
it seems that the cheapest source of said knife is a site in the US, who sell it for about £68, including P&P, while in the UK the going rate is around £110-£115
problem is, I'm not sure how much, if any, import duty her majesties revenue and customs are going to hit me with if I do try to import from the US.
can anyone help?

phaserrifle

Nomad
Jun 16, 2008
South of England

thanks!
as far as I can make out, this puts the total cost as being the price of the knife (£68) plus import VAT (about £11.90)
import duties are not applicable for goods under £120, so they arn't a worry.

add the £8 handling charge royal mail apparently charge you if your goods are inspected...
and it's still significantly cheaper than purchasing in the UK.
assuming it doesn't get seized as an "offensive weapon"

UKdave

Forager
Mar 9, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Thats all well and good, but why support the US economy? and FWIW you will be able to get a much better custom knife from a smaller maker for less. Get yourself over to Britishblades and see what I mean.

phaserrifle

Nomad
Jun 16, 2008
South of England
Thats all well and good, but why support the US economy? and FWIW you will be able to get a much better custom knife from a smaller maker for less. Get yourself over to Britishblades and see what I mean.

I'm trying to purchase a production knife (the ESEE knives H.E.S.T. to be exact)
if it was a custom knife, I would be looking at UK makers if possible.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE