i'm looking for a pocket whetstone....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
....to carry in my EDC bag to touch up my tools in the field. at the moment i use an old waterstone(#1000grit i guess) i found worn-out beside the road (and fixed up again), but i intend to upgrade a little bit... . i wouldprefer a stone with a medium/fine side and a finer back. one option i'd consider is the fallkniven dc4, but my current stone is a bit bigger (116x52mm), which makes it easier to use (for me) for long blades, natas and my GF SFA. i already tried finding an alternative to the dc4, but my google search was not successfull- longer stones yes, but not as wide (unless i would cut down a benchstone...) +i remember reading that there were some issues with dc4 stones falling apart(glue failing).... .

anyone able to point me in the right direction?!

Last edited:

Ruud

Jun 29, 2012
Belgium
www.rudecheers.wordpress.com
I use the DC4 most of the time also, but I also have a small metallic ruler (very lightweight one) on which I glued some sandpaper with double-sided carpettape. It is wider and longer than the DC4, but still very lightweight. Only downfall is that you might cut into the sandpaper, where a stone is virtually bombproof.

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire

NoName

Settler
Apr 9, 2012
Buy a ardennes coticule natural Stone too ( 6000 -8000)
Beginning at 20 euro's for a Nice size
You wont regret :)

thanks for all the advice so far! the arkansas stone sounds good- especially for the price, but i have to keep an eye on shipping costs to japan.... (can arkansas stones be used on cpm steel?)

i have several benchstones i accumulated over the last 2years (here in japan) but my visa runs out soon so unless i can renew it i have to chuck most of them soon:(- but i'm going to keep the ultrafine natural stone i got as "payment" for helping a neighbour and the #1000 special benchstone (for my carving chisels). (both of them are too big/heavy for my edc bag though....; my search for something the right size was unsuccessful so far- hence my question)

I'd get myself a regular benchstone with 400/1000 grid (~20cmx6cmx3cm) and then just put it into the shape I want (saw). Also put a leather strop and some compound in and you're good.

hhmmmm... that's an idea, too :) how do you cut them- hacksaw?! and do traditional benchstones work on CPMsteel or only diamond stones?! (i'm tinkering with the idea of replacing my neckknife- safety issues with sheath- with a fallkniven WM1....)

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Lansky do various products that might fit the bill. I sometimes just take the fine diamond stone from my Lansky kit with me and it does well.
However, I find a small strop in a pack to be the most use when out and about.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE