Going back to water stones

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
When I first learnt to sharpen I scalloped my 1000/6000 water stones and did great insult to my knives. I ended up giving up on the water stones and moved to a combination of an old diamond stone and my dc4 followed by stropping. I can now get a reliable, more or less razor edge with this system.

But I'm thinking of levelling the water stone and using it if for no other reason than to conquer something I had previously struggled with. I was wondering, how would the dc4 fit alongside the 1000/6000 stone? Would there be a benefit to using the dc4 between the 6000 and stropping stages, or would this do more harm than good, or be a pointless step?

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I personally wouldn’t bother. Seems like an unnecessary step. I think I use 800, 1200 and 6000 grit. Never needed a step in between the 1200 and 6000. And to be honest, some people don‘t bother with the 6000.

Reactions: Suffolkrafter

Murat_Cyp

Forager
Sep 16, 2020
Bristol
To my knowledge diamond side of the DC 4 is coarser than 1000 grid and the ceramic side should sit well in between 1000 and 6000. So, I would say yes, definitely give it a try. The following progression might give you a good result;

DC4 Diamond, 1000 grid, DC 4 ceramic, 6000 grid.

If you do not have a flatting stone for the wetstone, you can try flatting it by using the diamond side of the DC4. It may take a while, but given that it is not worn out, it should get you there.

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
Thank you, your answers give me a good idea of how they compare. General googling did not provide a clear picture. I think I've been doing myself a disservice by abandoning the water stones and missing out on the 6000. I've levelled them effectively with my old diamond stone. Time to get practicing :)

henchy3rd

Settler
Apr 16, 2012
Derby
Outdoorsman & joiner here with over 30 years experience of sharps.(more chisels I must add).
Keep away from the block sharpeners with 4 sides.. utter useless.
If it works why change it, for once I’ve found this not true..
For old school sharpening methods of stone & strop is an art at best & very rewarding when done right. There’s definitely something about the sound of metal running over a stone..however the stone will hollow over time so will need flattening off.
But..
I’ve now opted for an expensive diamond sharpener with two sides(£100 & mainly for work))so easy to use with chisels & knives.. fast, effective & cuts like butter.
Basically like the DC4 but much bigger.
Always use a strop & paste to remove minute burs.(leather belt will do in the woods).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE