I'm interested, but !

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Hey British Red. Just to correct a point you made about enormous gatherings with catering and vendor stalls. Aside from the collective meal that occurred one evening and then everyone brought along a dish to donate to the group meal, there wasn't any catering going on unless you cooked it over you own fire. I count myself fortunate that Mesquite is a very good camp chef (including his feather boa) so I suppose I was catered for in that respect and there was only myself and John Fenna and sometimes a friend of theirs wandered in and ate with us too. I didn't see a single burger van, mobile kebab shop or anything. It was only later in the week that I discovered a sort of tuck shop by the Bring and Buy table which was rather nice.

The "enormous gatherings" only happen in the morning meeting and that's only to let everyone know what the agenda is for that day, or to report anything lost or found. It's optional to turn up for that, but you'd be missing out on information if you did. This gathering was a maximum of about 100 people, if that.

But you're right about the other things Rev G could go or not. I'm just saying if he did he wouldn't be made to feel like he has to become a team player against his wishes. There is literally no pressure to do anything you don't want to do.

I hear what you're saying about "Mass Gatherings is hardly what Bushcraft is about." Fair comment too, however while I was there I felt like I was part of a small group I was in in whatever class, project, adventure I chose to take part in that day. Nothing larger than 15 people in the Butanese Bow making class, and more often it was just 3 or 4 in a group learning a skill from someone who was better at it than the rest of the group. So you could say it was a collection of small groups all gathered in a larger area.

I really enjoyed it and fully intend going again this year.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Hey British Red. Just to correct a point you made about enormous gatherings with catering and vendor stalls. Aside from the collective meal that occurred one evening and then everyone brought along a dish to donate to the group meal, there wasn't any catering going on unless you cooked it over you own fire. I count myself fortunate that Mesquite is a very good camp chef (including his feather boa) so I suppose I was catered for in that respect and there was only myself and John Fenna and sometimes a friend of theirs wandered in and ate with us too. I didn't see a single burger van, mobile kebab shop or anything. It was only later in the week that I discovered a sort of tuck shop by the Bring and Buy table which was rather nice.

The "enormous gatherings" only happen in the morning meeting and that's only to let everyone know what the agenda is for that day, or to report anything lost or found. It's optional to turn up for that, but you'd be missing out on information if you did. This gathering was a maximum of about 100 people, if that.

But you're right about the other things Rev G could go or not. I'm just saying if he did he wouldn't be made to feel like he has to become a team player against his wishes. There is literally no pressure to do anything you don't want to do.

I hear what you're saying about "Mass Gatherings is hardly what Bushcraft is about." Fair comment too, however while I was there I felt like I was part of a small group I was in in whatever class, project, adventure I chose to take part in that day. Nothing larger than 15 people in the Butanese Bow making class, and more often it was just 3 or 4 in a group learning a skill from someone who was better at it than the rest of the group. So you could say it was a collection of small groups all gathered in a larger area.

I really enjoyed it and fully intend going again this year.

Plus one on that - I had several solo "strolls" last year and saw not a soul until I returned to the central hub and the evening enjoyed a quiet chat around the fire with my good mates (well a good mate and Biker, who became a new good mate rather swiftly :) ) Other evenings I migrated to the "naughty corner" for crowded chaotic fun (for short visits only, my liver is getting old) or visited other camp fires for a blether with others of a quiet disposition (basically trying to find someone who had not heard all my Africa stories..) :) I find it hard to belive that there were actually so many people in the woods .... After my first visit I was hooked - and I need my alone time (ask Drew about that :D ) I have yet to meet at the Moot anyone who got "in my face", crowds I could not avoid or "pressure" situations, just a good group of helpful, friendly folk who give you space you want/need when you want/need it and the company you want/need/enjoy when you are in the mood. I would love the Moot to run from Jan 1st to Dec 31st :) but I think some other folk book the site for some of the year.....

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Guys - if you enjoy it - thats grand - no criticism from me at all. I merely pointed out to the OP, that if large group meetings make him uncomfortable (as they do me), not to feel that attending them is needed - or even important - in the scheme of Bushcraft. If you enjoy them - more power to you - but its just as acceptable not to want to be surrounded (or even in the same woods as) large groups of people. This is an inclusive hobby - one size does not fit all. Honestly the Moot would be the fifth circle of hell to me - I would far rather have a week completely alone in the woods. Which would be equally horrible for other people.

Biker

Guys - if you enjoy it - thats grand - no criticism from me at all. I merely pointed out to the OP, that if large group meetings make him uncomfortable (as they do me), not to feel that attending them is needed - or even important - in the scheme of Bushcraft. If you enjoy them - more power to you - but its just as acceptable not to want to be surrounded (or even in the same woods as) large groups of people. This is an inclusive hobby - one size does not fit all. Honestly the Moot would be the fifth circle of hell to me - I would far rather have a week completely alone in the woods. Which would be equally horrible for other people.

Goooooood point British Red. :D

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire

Fair dos - different strokes etc :)

Reverend Graham

Life Member
Jul 2, 2012
Grimsby
Still juggling, although, I think a couple of the kittens have stopped breathing !

Got an one of my ex-service buddies lives close to there, it'll give me a chance to shoot the sh1t with him.

Comes payday I'm booking this, it'll give me a chance to use my new Lavvu and a few other bits.

Is there a carboot thing there,where you can sell your old/unused kit ?

Rev G

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Is there a carboot thing there,where you can sell your old/unused kit ?

There's a bring and buy table by the registration tent that you can put things into to sell, 10% commission paid for the privelage, money goes towards BcUK

There's also what's called traders day which is a bit like a mini boot sale where various folks have a wide range of new and used kit and handiwork for sale

Biker

Its not like that with John, he hypnotises folk from a distance to open their wallets before they even realise ;)

These ARE the knives you're looking for

not-the-droids.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE